Citra hops. Price $ difference between stores. Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed almost $30 different between 2 stores. One selling Lb for $23 vs $49. Could this be because one product is fresher maybe a better harvest year? Or am i over thinking this? Why such a drastic difference?

Yakima Valley has 2021 Citra pellets at $23/pound. If you pay more you'll definitely have snookered yourself.
Can't help you with the reasons for the rip-off pricing.
I doubt anyone is still carrying 2020 or older stock - it's Citra, a limited production...

Cheers!

If any vendor doesn't state the crop year, move on. It's probably older than 2021. I notice that NB is charging $24.99 for 8 oz. of Citra of indeterminate vintage.

Go with Yakima Valley. Most recent crop and low price.

actually citra has a ton of production, but its a mainstay hop and there's quite a bit siphoned off of the main pellet/cone channel for other stuff like extracts, cryo/lupomax, solubles, etc. but mostly its an in demand hop. (ever notice that cryo/lupomax prices dont really change at all? weird....)

for the most part, this year is gonna see a TON of hop discounts. everybody is oversold. galaxy for $20/lb? its coming. and newest crop too. mosaic. bru. strata. even the aus/nz stuff. what's gonna be "expensive" ? the whole "thiol" precursor and "mash hop" crew is gonna have some stiff pricing. tett is in the teens...??!!?! cascade? these are no longer gonna be "cheap" like they were before. not $20/lb, but compared to years past they're not cheap like they used to be...

also- just because you dont see a crop year doesnt mean its old. but it also isnt telling you its the newest crop. most folks are now noting the year, but not everyone has caught up. its not proof in and of itself. but its a question mark.

I've noticed almost $30 different between 2 stores. One selling Lb for $23 vs $49. Could this be because one product is fresher maybe a better harvest year? Or am i over thinking this? Why such a drastic difference?
In my local town the price of road diesel ranges from $5.19 to $5.49 a gallon and the two stores are 4 blocks apart. Explain how one is fresher than the other.

For the difference in the price of the hops I would expect the same cause, one store either has way higher overhead or want way more profit.

It's called capitalism. Supply and demand. If people will pay it, some places charge whatever they can get.

Seems like one give a discount for buying in bulk and the other does not.

Back