citra hops, last 3oz.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grayhalladay

Reaction score
I just bought the last 3oz of citra my lhbs has, and Its looking like they cant get any more. Northwest Arkansas just isnt a large market. They are 13.5% AA, from hopunion. My question is, how should use these. I was thinking a 1.060, single hop Pale Ale. I have 7 batches under my belt and more than half, I would say, haVe a hops problem. I have a real problem pairing and schedule wise.

my idea; 0.5oz @ 25 min, 0.5 @ 15 min, 0.5 @ 5 min, 0.5 @ 1 min, and 1oz dry hop. With 10lbs 2-row and 2lbs vienna.

This is me, What would you do?

I would go with .5 @60, .5 @10, .5 @5, .5 @ 0, and 1.0 for dryhopping. That would be for 8 lbs of 2 row. I did a SMaSH like this with Columbus which turned out really good. More of an IPA with the earlier addition.

Don't use Citra before 15 minutes, unless you want five gallons of cat pee. Use Magnum or something to bitter and use the Citra late. One of my favorites is Magnum at 60 (1 oz) and then a half oz of Citra at 15, 10, 5 & flameout, followed by a 1oz dry hop after fermentation has slowed. That will give you a great, non-overpowering example of the Citra hop.

Don't use Citra before 15 minutes, unless you want five gallons of cat pee. Use Magnum or something to bitter and use the Citra late. One of my favorites is Magnum at 60 (1 oz) and then a half oz of Citra at 15, 10, 5 & flameout, followed by a 1oz dry hop after fermentation has slowed. That will give you a great, non-overpowering example of the Citra hop.

See I did an all simcoe APA and the bitterness is great with only 0.5 oz @ 60 min. I guess citra doesn't bitter as well?

Also, expand on cat pee. Ha. What exactly is the reason you don't like it? What Off flavor? Etc.

Back