CIP Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbradford

Reaction score
CIP means Clean In Place, btw.

Help me think this through...

I just moved into a house, and previously have been doing everything in an apartment. I have been brewing large batches and keep about 35-40 gallons of beer fermenting or kegged at all times. In the past, I have fermented in carboys, buckets, and corny and 1/6 kegs because of limited space.

I am now able to get 3-4 sanky 1/2 kegs and have an idea for using a tall crawl space under house to ferment.

The interesting thing is that it seems that the original entrance to the crawl space was sealed, and now there is only a small hatch in a closet to enter and exit.

There is enough room to get a keg down, and a window ac unit however.

I am thinking about building a foam insulated box that will hold 2-3 kegs and hook the ac unit up and a light bulb on a temp controller so that I can control the temp to 62-65 year round for fermenting ales. If this system worked, I would consider building another small chamber for lagering.

I would pump wort down to a clean fermenter through the beer out side. The gas in would be open to allow air to escape and beer enter. A spunding valve would then be attached to allow pressurized fermentation and so that the beer would be naturally carbed before serving.

After fermentation, I could transfer to another keg through the beer out using co2 to push.

I would catch the first gallon in a gallon carboy for later yeast washing and trub removal. After the first gallon, I would use a filter to filter the beer before entering the second keg which would now become the serving vessel.

Next I suppose that I would pump 15 gallons of oxyclean down to keg, let it sit over night, and then flush with 8-10 gallons of water before filling with a sanitizer to be ready for the next batch.

1)What would be good fittings for the keg to allow these cycles of fluids to be pushed to keg.

2)Will the 3 stage cleaning do an adequate job for an unobserved clean?

3)Will catching a gallon of the wort first get the cake and trub?

4)Can u hook up a spunding valve 8 feet above keg to monitor?

5)What other issues and ideas can you add?

Knowing my curious nature, I expect that I will go down and check on it monthly, but over time maybe less...

I have seen those but don't know if they are really cost effective even though I think they are great products. I have seen sanke taps converted for less with similar success. Pressurized fermentation thread supplies good info:)

benbradford said:
Help me think this through...

1)What would be good fittings for the keg to allow these cycles of fluids to be pushed to keg.

2)Will the 3 stage cleaning do an adequate job for an unobserved clean?

3)Will catching a gallon of the wort first get the cake and trub?

4)Can u hook up a spunding valve 8 feet above keg to monitor?

5)What other issues and ideas can you add?

1) You'd definetly want sanitary fittings, so tri-clamp?

2) I'd be happy with a 3 stage cleaning, but that is not my area of expertise.

3) No idea.

4) For registering the pressure of the CO2 on top of the beer this should be fine.

5) You'll have to put in a tee before the spunding with a manual open \ close to atmosphere for pushing beer in. You may be able to use this as the exit as well though.

Hoping to avoid tri clamps due to cost. I like the idea of the tee on the spunding.

Anyone have any issues with these being stored out of sight and being kept below the house?

Back