Cidery flavor, not much hop aroma despite 4.5oz dry hop and 4oz in whirlpool. And other problems.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBarrymore

Reaction score
I've tried brewing an NEIPA and after tasting it I get a cidery flavor and not much in aroma or hop flavor. Could anyone please give me some ideas as to what might be going on and how to fix it?

My recipe is about 70% pale malt, 10% vienna, 15% flaked wheat, 5% flaked oat. My water is about 150ppm of chloride and 70ppm sulfate added to RO water. The yeast I used was US-05. 2 packets for 5 gallons. Here are some additional notes:

Day 1- Pitched at and fermented at 65f. About 12 hrs later I could see the yeast starting up.
Day 2- Fermentation was vigorous.
Day 3- Fermentation slowed down significantly. There was almost no bubbling at all at this point. I gave the fermenting vessel a good swirl and it started bubbling again.
Day 4- Virtually no bubbling going on anymore. The krauzen had dropped already. I took a gravity reading and saw I was nearing expected final gravity. I threw in the dry hops at this point at 70f
Day 6-8- Didn't see any change in gravity so I started cold crashing it.
Day 12- Kegged it and sampled some.

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.018
Mash Temp: 156f
Fermentation temp: 65f inside of plastic buckets using a temperature controlled chest freezer.

Appearance: Hazy, but not "milky" like I wanted it to turn out.
Aroma: A bit fruity like I expected out of the hops used, but nothign like an NEIPA should be. Was no more hoppier than another "normal" IPA I brew, despite having used 3x the amount of hops in whirlpool and in dryhop.
Flavor: Also lacking in flavor. Did not have much hop flavor as expected. Didn't taste any more hop flavor than I do out of my "normal" IPA.
Mouthfeel: Did not feel "round". Felt a bit thin. Expected there would be more roundness considering I used took the Chloride a notch up and mashed at 156f to get more body out of it.

Can anyone give me advice on what could've gone wrong? Also, how can I achieve more "roundness" if I am already doing what is required to achieve that feel in the beer (high mash temp, higher chloride, flaked oat)? How can I achieve the more "milkiness" that a lot of NEIPA have without doing something like putting flour, apple puree, or lactose in it?

Last edited:
This is something that confuses me a bit about NEIPA, as you're supposed to dry hop while fermentation is still going on, but only supposed to dry hop for 3ish days am I right?

I was under the impression you shouldnt cold crash NEIPAs. Is that incorrect?

I was under the impression you shouldnt cold crash NEIPAs. Is that incorrect?
Yes, I believe that's incorrect. I've read some threads on it as well as messaged some of the guys who brewed NEIPAs and they mentioned the did cold crash.

This is something that confuses me a bit about NEIPA, as you're supposed to dry hop while fermentation is still going on, but only supposed to dry hop for 3ish days am I right?
Put the hops in a fine mesh bag and remove them after three days!

Have you read some of the NEIPA threads, like Braufessor's?

Which hops did you use and how much of each? Were they fresh?
Can you post your hop schedule?
What have you done to limit O2 uptake during transfers and packaging?

US-05 is the wrong yeast for NEIPAs.
Next time buy 1 pack of WY1318, and make an overbuild* starter from it a few days before you brew.
The yeast and a good pitch are essential.

* To save some of the yeast out to build a starter from for your next brew, and so on.

Back