cider yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarzanchuck

Reaction score
Curious what yeasts you.all use. I have typically used champagne yeast, bit might be interested in.trying something else. What does everyone here use for yeast?

Lalvin D47 and 71B are my faves. D47 preserves more of the apple aroma and flavor than any other yeast I've tried, and also contributes great mouthfeel. 71B rounds off a sharp juice (by metabolizing some of the malic acid) so I use it whenever the TA is over 0.7%.

I've also had good results from 58W3 and QA23, though maybe not any better than D47.

Champagne yeast is, IMO, a very poor choice for cider - it is too aggressive and leaves no character behind - unless you are using its temperature sensitivity to make a semi-sweet cider. (I'm told you can crash-cool it to stop fermentation, rack off and get a stable still cider with residual sugar, but I haven't done this myself. I developed a liking for dry cider instead.)

D-47, K1-1116, Nottingham.

All good choices. All ones I've used with sucess (great taste) in the past. :)

I agree that champagne yeast is too aggressive.

I'm quickly becoming a fan of the Mangrove Jack M02 cider yeast. Find that my last few batches finish with a very nice apple flavor. Not sure how much of that is the yeast and how much was other factors though.

So which of the ones suggested will create a dry cider. In the past I used a champagne yeast and it made my favorite cider because it was very dry. I wasn't pleased with the results from Nottingham because it was at too sweet for my taste

So which of the ones suggested will create a dry cider. In the past I used a champagne yeast and it made my favorite cider because it was very dry. I wasn't pleased with the results from Nottingham because it was at too sweet for my taste

That's interesting, I don't think I had that experience, but have read others reporting similar results with Notty. Worth looking into.

Generally, all cultured yeasts will produce a dry cider, because the simple fruit sugars in apple juice are easily metabolized (attenuation is 100%). Some yeasts are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations or other factors, and can be persuaded to stop fermenting by chilling or sulfiting.

D47 always produces a dry cider for me, though sometimes there is so much fruit character that it tastes sweet! 71B likewise, but it can be a finicky fermenter and sometimes does stop short. QA23 and 58W3 both went bone-dry. I like the vinous character these yeasts impart, much better than the characterless result from champagne yeast.

Champagne yeast makes it very dry. FG reading usually around .996. What sort of FG do you get with the others? Ive heard nottingham is a common one to use.

Albionwood said:
That's interesting, I don't think I had that experience, but have read others reporting similar results with Notty. Worth looking into.

Generally, all cultured yeasts will produce a dry cider, because the simple fruit sugars in apple juice are easily metabolized (attenuation is 100%). Some yeasts are more sensitive to temperature fluctuations or other factors, and can be persuaded to stop fermenting by chilling or sulfiting.

D47 always produces a dry cider for me, though sometimes there is so much fruit character that it tastes sweet! 71B likewise, but it can be a finicky fermenter and sometimes does stop short. QA23 and 58W3 both went bone-dry. I like the vinous character these yeasts impart, much better than the characterless result from champagne yeast.

Thanks I'm intrigued now. I'm going to try the d47 this time around

Started my first batch of the season with BRY-97. Never used it on cider but I like it for its soft fruit character in my ales. Hoping it works out, abd that I can add it to my list of good yeasts to recommend. :)

Yup. I get good results that way too. I have at least three more batches planned for the season. One of them will be d-47. I am hoping the bry-97 leaves behind a bit more sugar than d-47, but provides great taste profile like d-47.

Back