Cider with real apples recipe needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olayak

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for a dry, traditional cider recipe (like strongbow), but made with real apples instead of apple juice. I've been searching, but most use juice instead of apples. In a perfect world, the recipe would be for a 5 gallon kit.
Thanks!:mug:

Hi,
I'm looking for a dry, traditional cider recipe (like strongbow), but made with real apples instead of apple juice. I've been searching, but most use juice instead of apples. In a perfect world, the recipe would be for a 5 gallon kit.
Thanks!:mug:

At the risk of sounding like I'm being sarcastic (I'm not!), in order to start with real apples you crush and press the apples. A juicer isn't as good, because you don't want the seeds and there is something wonderful about fermenting with the pulp before pressing. If you can't crush, ferment, and then press, at least crush and press. It really makes a great cider.

A good mix is important- mostly tart apples, and a few crabapples in the mix is even better.

Thank you!
Do you happen to have a recipe? I really appreciate the pressing advice!

Back