cider/wine adjuncts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenM

Reaction score
i did my first cider late last year and it has been 8 months total since primary. I let it dry all the way out with a wine yeast. At botteling and added 1 can of frozen juice concentrate. Halh was immediately bottled and pasturized, half was naturally carbed then pasturized. Time has gone by and it is boring to taste. It being my first in hard apple cider the ingredients were cider from a local orchard and yeast only, with the concentrate at the end. It tastes like watered down apple juice with no flavor other than light apple. ETOH at about 5%. I'm thinking, since its not very good, about opening the bottles and putting them into 1 gallon carboys with another flavor for a month then re bottleing.

What are some options that may help this out. Not to be pushy but could I also get the amount to be added to a gallon. I understand that if I use a juice or fruit that I will be increasing the sweetness since it is already pasturized. Thanks for your help.

What was the batch size and original recipe?

The simplest way to remedy it would be to pour into a 1/4 glass of apple juice and drink.

When making hard cider there needs to be a mix of sour apples in the blend. The sweet apples used for juice once the sugar has been removed don't have much character.

the original receipe was 5 gallons of cider form local orchard and red star yeast (blue package) and 1 can juice concentrate when botteling, every time it was racked, it was topped for with additional cider, expected etoh of 8.5%. Since I see this as not something I would make a point to buy if I was shopping at a store, then I would like to experiment if possible with other flavors. I probably still have 3 gallons or so left. I was thinking of putting them back into 1 gallon carboys and trying to learn something. Thanks for your help and any one elses for that matter. And yes it may just come down to doctoring a failed fluid at tableside.

You could try a combination of several things.

Back sweetening with apple juice concentrate.
Adding acid blend.
Mixing with a tart cider (if you had one available)
Letting it sit in secondary on some fruit.

Try this in small measured samples (100ml or so) and when you find something interesting scale the numbers up for a gallon.

Others might have some more ideas too.

what is sg at present.....I find sweeter has more flavor.

I've used mulling spices to add character, a little goes a long ways.

At your local brew shop they sell a couple of items that can help to fill out the flavor profile and improve the mouthfeel. Grape tannins and acid blend. They both serve to increase the acidity and additionally the tannins will give that tart, raspy tongue feel. They are inexpensive and should be used in very small amounts. When I use them, I find that an additional period of aging is good for blending of flavors. The acid blend is usually comprised of 1/3 malic, 1/3 tannin, and 1/3 citric acid. I believe any of these can be purchased separately. These items have saved a few of my ciders. Good luck!

Back