Cider that's been in secondary for nearly a year?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrappistBeerFan

Reaction score
I need some advice please guys. I've got two demijohns of cider that have been sitting in secondary fermentation since last December. I now want to bottle it but not sure what to do.

I presume that adding priming sugar will not carb it as there won't be any yeast left. I don't mind too much bottling still cider but is there anything I need to add to it to stop it going off as there won't be a layer of co2 sitting on the top?

It might still take off. Yeast wants to live. I like still ciders, but if you want to carb it up-- Use the same yeast as you used to make it, or a neutral yeast (similar to the type you used) and add a little to the two demijohns and prime away...

Ok but if I decide to bottle it still, do I need to add anything to it or do I just bottle as it is?

Have you tasted it? If not, do that first to see if you need to make any adjustments. You can bottle it up as is or add priming sugar if you'd like.

But if I bottle as is, won't it go bad? My understanding is that when you bottle and carb the co2 stops it from going off. If I bottle flat there won't be any co2. Do I need to add sulphites or anything?

You can bottle it as-is, and it will be just fine for a while. Sulfite can be added if desired to prevent oxidation (staling). But if you're going to drink it all within a few months, then you can skip the sulfite. Use sulfite only if aging for like a year or more.

Back