Cider tastes like yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhard

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I made a batch of mangrove jacks raspberry lime cider and it didn't turn out quite as planned.

It has a strong yeast taste in it. I followed all the instructions properly and I am not sure if it is supposed to taste like this but I don't like it. I have read a lot about not letting it sit long enough but i figured these kits are fool proof.

So my question is now that its all bottled. Its been sitting for about 6 weeks. Will it begin to taste better or is this batch toast? Is there anything I can do to it to save this batch.

I should mention I bottle carbed this batch but have since then got access to a keg. Could I do something with the keg and save this batch? Any advice is helpful.

Since this I have began cider using apple juice from the story that is currently fermenting. Any advice for preventing this from happening to this batch? any additives?

thank you!

Just tried something. I took a cider and opened the top releasing the pressure and then let it sit for about 20 minutes opened allowing any yeast that was pulled up by carbonation to settle again and then i poured it carefully into a glass and left a good amount behind. It tastes alot better. slight yeast taste but definitely better. Would I be able to do this with all my bottles except pour them into my keg and carbonate it again without the yeast?

Also how can this be avoided when bottle carbing becuase there will always be yeast in the bottle and it seems to be pulled up when the bottle is opened.

Just tried something. I took a cider and opened the top releasing the pressure and then let it sit for about 20 minutes opened allowing any yeast that was pulled up by carbonation to settle again and then i poured it carefully into a glass and left a good amount behind. It tastes alot better. slight yeast taste but definitely better. Would I be able to do this with all my bottles except pour them into my keg and carbonate it again without the yeast?

Also how can this be avoided when bottle carbing becuase there will always be yeast in the bottle and it seems to be pulled up when the bottle is opened.

Where is the cider stored? If it is in the refrigerator the yeast will fallout and compact better to the bottom of the bottle.

Where is the cider stored? If it is in the refrigerator the yeast will fallout and compact better to the bottom of the bottle.

Some is the fridge, some in the closet. Seems to be the same for both however.

Back