Cider sweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deon Botha

Reaction score
So I have now been fermenting my cider for 3 weeks. The plan is to back sweeten with enough sucrose to carbonate the cider, but also sweeten it to a medium sweet cider. The idea is to pasteurize the bottles to stop the fermentation of the sugar to leave some sweetness in the cider. My question is: how much sugar (sucrose) do I need to add to a gallon of cider, to give my finished cider a medium sweet taste? Thank you in advance.

Any sucrose you put in your cider the yeast will ferment up to exploding bottles.

You can stabilize it and sweeten it but you'll have no carbonation. If you carbonate it, safely, it's going to be dry.

You can sweeten it, let it go to the pressure you want, then kill off the yeast in a boiling water bath, like canning. There are some posts here about doing this.

You can use Splenda or zylitol to sweeten along with adding your priming sugar. I've heard Splenda can get kind of weird tasting over time.

All the Best,
D. White

Any sucrose you put in your cider the yeast will ferment up to exploding bottles.

You can stabilize it and sweeten it but you'll have no carbonation. If you carbonate it, safely, it's going to be dry.

You can sweeten it, let it go to the pressure you want, then kill off the yeast in a boiling water bath, like canning. There are some posts here about doing this.

You can use Splenda or zylitol to sweeten along with adding your priming sugar. I've heard Splenda can get kind of weird tasting over time.

All the Best,
D. White
Yep, that is the plan. To stop the carbonation mid way through and leave some sweetness. I saw a video on that, but it doesn't mention the amount of sugar needed be gallon, and that is what i am after. Thanks

i tried to do the heat pasteurization and it kinda worked, my champagne bottles all popped my corks out and i had to recork the bottles. i had a slightly sweet cider at first but over time i got some carbonation in the bottles. my only way to sweeten cider was to keg it and back-sweeten with concentrate. i only used plastic bottles for cider, i was always afraid of bottle bombs with cider. good luck and be careful.
cheers

Back