cider souring stop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrgtr42

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a batch of cider that I'm conditioning, I was planning on dry-hopping it.
I went into the closet this morning to get ready, and found that the bung somehow came out, and I noticed a light pellicle starting.
I know I was in the closet Saturday and the bung was still there, so it couldn't have been more than 40 hours or so.
My question is, can I crush up some campden tabs and toss them in, would they stop whatever may be taking a hold in there?
I would then pitch a little bit of yeast when I bottle, along with the priming sugar, to get my carbonation.
I'm not rushing into things, I figure another couple hours won't be my make or break point.
Thanks for the help.

If you're certain it's a pellicle & you want it gone, 1 Campden tab/gallon should do just fine. Be sure to crush them & dissolve in a little water to dissolve them before you add to the cider.
Regards, GF.

Back