Cider Seems Still When Cold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siebercider

Reaction score
Hello all-

I've made a few batches of cider now, so I have a little experience but not much. I have been using the Domino Dots to carb my cider. I thought my cider was sufficiently bubbly so I refrigerated it. Now, when I take a bottle out of the fridge the cider seems to be still with no bubbles until the cider warms up a bit and then bubbles begin to appear so that it resembles a sparkling cider.

Did I not let it carbonate long enough before refrigerating or does this normally happen? I'm just assuming that I'd have had more bubbles when pouring my cider into a glass.

Thanks.

Thats an odd one. If the CO2 does't have time to incorporate into the cider then it can just escape when you uncap it. (leaving it flat) But I can't say why it gets bubbly again when it warms back up. I would just give it more time in the fridge to see if that helps. Maybe someone else has a better theory.

I believe it has to do with the fact that cold cider can absorb more CO2 than warm cider. When it's cold and warms up.. the CO2 wants to escape. When it's undercarbed.. what little is in there escapes slowly. May not have explained that well.. but, same holds true for beer. Very noticeable when you keg. Undercarbed is corrected by adding more CO2. When the kegged beer is undercarbed.. when cold.. not much happens until it warms up. When an beer is properly carbed for serving temp and served at room temp.. it's quite foamy. That's been my experience.

I keg my cider but it doesn't carb as well as the beers. The one I have in there now it barely carbed. But the Hefe is perfectly done, both in for the sane duration. It is 11%+ so wondering if that has something to do with it.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Home Brew mobile app

Thanks, everyone.

I'm guessing that it is undercarbed. Unfortunately I forgot to bottle one plastic soda bottle so I will have to keep trying my next batch by opening bottles. I've read that it should take about 2 weeks to carb and I found that my first batch took 4 weeks to show signs of carbonation. I had it down in the basement at maybe 66 degrees. Seems that may be a little too cold for carbing.

It seems like force carbing is really the way to go but I don't have the money to spend on a fridge and CO2 tanks, etc.

I have a Tapitcap http://tapitcap.com that I'm going to try with my current batch of cider. For small batches the Sodatream may be a less expensive open than other forced carbonation.

Back