Cider or Cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

454k30

Reaction score
I have been brewing a 5 gallon recipe for several years that uses 36oz of honey. I call it a cider; a very rude but possibly correct individual informed me that this is a cyser. What say ye all?

I always make cysers instead of ciders. I like the taste of fermented honey better than fermented sugar. I only use refined sugars when it's less than 1lb / 5 gallons.

Around brew geeks, I call them cyser because they are cysers. For non-brew geeks, I describe them as "honey ciders". It saves a lot of explaining.

I know enough people have chimed in already, but any cider made with honey is technically "cyser".

That being said, outside of the any home brew groups/website I don't think anyone really cares about that formality. For simplicity and to avoid having to explain what "cyser" is, I usually call it cider around my friends and family. Even then I sometime have to explain that "No, not apple cider like you get in a grocery store. This stuff has alcohol in it."

lol, I hope who ever it was that corrected you "rudely" doesn't take everything so seriously.

Back