Cider not fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nysideshow

Reaction score
I've seen several posts about being patient lol, but I've never had anything take this long to start. I have 5 gallons that I juiced from freebie apples. I hit it with 5 crushed campden tablets, 25 hours later I added Notty yeast, 2 1/2 days later I added champagne yeast. It's been 4+ days, no activity!!

I'm having the same problem. Pressed three gallons, added 3 campden, tabs, 1/2 lb dextrose (to bring to OG 1055), 48h later aerated and pitched notty. Nothing after 3 days. Added 1 gallon store juice (no preservatives). Nothing after 2 more days. Pitched another notty last night, the time as a starter. Nothing as of this morning. No airlock bubbles, no foam. Took the plug out to give it a quick sniff (nothing remarkable, just apple-y) and thought there might have been a little suction.

Glass carboy. Steady 68-69 degrees. Very confused.

How positive are you there were no preservatives in the juice? Only thing I can think of besides your yeast packet being cooked and completely dead

I have mine in a bucket and it's at 68 degrees. I used dry yeast that I rehydrated. When I first pitched the Nottingham yeast, I also added about half of the yeast cake slurry that had just fermented a couple gallons of organic store bought AJ. So I know some of the yeast at least we're viable. I added about 3 tsp of pectin enzyme 12 hours after the campden tablets and 2 tsp of yeast nutrient about 5 hours after the pectin enzyme (17 hrs after the campden). I've taken gravity readings twice and it's about the same as the OG, and there is nothing churning around. Stumped :/

Lol, I guess patience is a virtue. Wifey just came upstairs and said its bubbling away. Started on the morning of the 5th day. Thanks for the replys. I guess time is the ingredient that was missing, goodluck Crabbyapple...maybe it'll take off soon.

Look into your nutrient regime. Apples are not like grains and need a lot more nutrient so a product like Fermaid O instead of yeast nutrient will help the yeast along. Also, something like Go-Ferm Protect can be used when rehydrating yeast to get things started right. Also, since there is lower activity, be sure to rouse your yeast. This may not apply for beer yeast. I am not so sure. But will help a champagne or white wine yeast.

Making cider is a lot more like making wine than it is like making beer. When it doubt, check out what the grape guys are doing.

I guess patience is the winner. 7 days and two pitches, but there's some airlock activity as of this morning (every 5-10s). Never had a batch take this long to start. It was very tart to start, maybe a pH issue. I'll give it a bit and add some nutrient if it smells sulphury.

Back