Cider Keg in 2 Weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfbrews

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Made my first cider 2 weeks ago, I see that aging of 4 weeks or more is recommended...but I have seen fermentation through, hit my numbers a few days ago and bubbles have been done for about a week.

I am looking to back sweeten today with some concentrate and keg either tomorrow or Friday.

Anyone see an issue with this?

I am used to beer where I can turn a pale ale or ipa in 14 days with great success, so I am just curious if I can do the same with cider.

I used Tree Top 100% Honeycrisp unfiltered cider, so I am not concerned with the clarity of the cider.

You can turn a cider over in that time as long as the yeast was healthy and had enough nutrients to keep it cleaned up. Back-sweetening can be an issue if it continues to ferment, but there are ways around that.

The type of yeast used makes a big difference. Wine/champagne yeast can take a while to clean themselves up. Ale yeasts can be much more forgiving. I use Danstar Belle Saison for a 10 day turnover.

Danger. Don't be surprised if fermentation isn't truly finished and you end up with a very hazy, yeasty tasting cider. You're in too great of a hurry. You can try to eliminate most of the yeast with gelatin and kill off the rest with sorbate and sulfite, but even that process requires an extra week to do before you keg it.

Back