Cider infected with mucus?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olayak

Reaction score
Hi,
So a few weeks ago I made another batch of hard cider using a store bought cider. All my previous batches were made with fresh apple cider or apple juice. Anyway, this time I used the cheap stuff. Still pasturized with no preservatives. Well, I used most of the bottle for my hard cider and put the rest back in the cabinet. I forgot to refrigerate. Duh. And yesterday, after weeks of being in the cabinet, I drank some. I got a mouth full of mucus!!! I looked in the cup and in the bottle and there definitely was some glob of stuff floating in there. It was disgusting. I threw it all away. I didn't get sick (luckily) but I checked on my carboy and at the top is also some mucous-looking stuff. I have no idea what this stuff is. :confused: Is it Pectin? Bacteria? Mold? Do I have to dump out the carboy? The cider I tasted still tasted good, despite the mucous in it. ugh.

How did the mucous get there and how can I avoid it in the future!
Thanks!

It sounds like you had some sort of SCOBY in there, that is on top of kombucha. My wife likes kombucha and when the SCOBY is little it looks like a booger. You may have had something get in their before pitching your yeast.

Back