Cider ideas for secondaries?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
I've got my first cider (5gal Whole Foods organic apple juice; 2lb honey; Wyeast 4766) in the primary. In about 10-14 days, I'll be transferring them back to the 5 x 1gal glass they came in. Here are my plans for each:

1. As is
2. .5lb of Trader Joe's dark morello cherries (in syrup) added upon racking
3. Also with with cherries, and later dry hopped with 1/3oz Huell Melon
4. Only dry hopped with 1/3oz Huell Melon
5. Only dry hopped with 1/3oz Huell Melon

Any other ideas for adding things to the secondaries / differentiating the batches? Herbs? Spices? Etc?

Thanks all!

Fresh rasberries, dipped in vodka? Or a little concentrate added to secondary?

Blackberries, Blueberries Cranberries all work well with cider. (Other fruit does too but this is what i have used.) Cherries sound really good... and i have no idea what Huell Mellon hops are. (Excuse my ignorance, might have to research them a bit.)

My go-to recipe (When not adding fruit): Is to Spice it - Keep it on the spices for 7 - 14 days depending upon how much flavor I want. Knowing it will mellow a bit with age. Always use whole spices.

All are for a 5 gallon batch
- 1 oz Medium Toast Oak Chips
- 2 or 3 Cinnamon Sticks (I go a little heavy if I allow it to age a bit as cinnamon tends to fade over time.)
- 2 Vanilla Beans
- 1 or 2 Cloves (These buggers are pretty potent 2 if small)
- 1 Star Anise (Optional)

NOTE - Sanitize a small mesh bag and drop it in the carboy with the spices. Then fish it out when you hit the flavor you want. (Check the flavor each two days after 8 days or so.)

Last edited:
Citrus zest works nicely, combined with ginger it works well too.

Awesome, thanks for the ideas. Going to use those oak chips for sure (and possibly the entire recipe next time). Citrus zest also intriguing.

I have to go out of town for 3 weeks, starting May 8. I started this thing on April 2nd. I honestly have no idea what a realistic timeline is here. The plan is thus:

Primary for 12 days.
Secondaries by taste (hopefully another 12 days)
Which leaves 2 weeks for bottle conditioning, at which point I'll pasteurize (right?) and leave them on the shelf.

Does this make sense?

I gather that's pretty short fermentation time for cider. Thing is, I won't be around to control it otherwise. The alternative, if I can trust it not to explode in my absence, is to let it ferment longer (nearer 3.5 weeks in secondaries), bottle upon departure, let it carbonate unsupervised while I'm gone (and hope for the best).

?

Thanks again for taking the time.

Back