Cider headspace

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicyclist

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am new to this, and just started a .5 gal batch of cider. I used store bought, pasteurized, but no preservatives cider, windsor yeast, 3/8 cup white sugar, and a bit of nutrient. It is fermenting at about 55-60 degrees, and after 2 days has foamed into the airlock. I had about 3 to 4 inches of headspace in a .5 gal growler. I didn't think I would need a blowoff tube because the temp was lower than recommended for that yeast, but I guess I did. Does everyone use blowoff tubes for cider, or do you use more headspace? at this point should I just let it calm down and then replace the airlock, or try to switch to a blow off tube?
Thanks!

For this size batch, you should not need a blow off tube; just clean out the airlock and replace. It should be fine. Now when you rack from this vessel to the next, you need to keep your headspace to a minimum.

I always start with a lot of headspace then reduce in the secondary. I had the same problem when I started in one gal. jugs. The three piece airlock cleans out easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

After this cider season I think my new policy will be to always use a blow off tube the first few days. 4 out of 6 so far this year had a blow out.

I have 5G of basically the same thing going, but with belle saison yeast and no sugar added, in a 6G bucket. Absolutely no krausen atm, just some small bubbles at the top. No bubbles in airlock, but probably just not an airtight lid. Re hydrated yeast at correct temps, as initially worried the cider may have been too cold when I pitched and caused some thermal shock to the yeast but it's doing okay now.

Definitely make sure your secondary, and you should rack to secondary after primary is over with cider, has zero headspace. I'm going to rack to a pinlock keg, purge the little headspace, and leave it for a month or two. My last 2 batches both got a Brett infection due to headspace.

You do t need zero headspace if when u rack to the secondary fermentation restarts. Not foam or blowoff but a couple days of bubbling will place a layer of CO2 on your cider and get rid of the O2. I always rack when fermentation slows but before it stops.

You do t need zero headspace if when u rack to the secondary fermentation restarts. Not foam or blowoff but a couple days of bubbling will place a layer of CO2 on your cider and get rid of the O2. I always rack when fermentation slows but before it stops.

I never thought about that. Good idea!

Thanks,
I replaced the airlock and it is happily bubbling away. I will try to rack when the fermentation slows but is still going, and then let it ferment until the yeast dies. With that amount of sugar, the yeast should die while it is still sweet, correct?

Thanks,
I replaced the airlock and it is happily bubbling away. I will try to rack when the fermentation slows but is still going, and then let it ferment until the yeast dies. With that amount of sugar, the yeast should die while it is still sweet, correct?

Nope the yeast is not going to die or reach it's alcohol tolerance from a small sugar addition like that. You will probably want to back sweeten and pasteurize.

Ok, thanks, sounds like a plan. I think with the amount I have, I will just put it in plastic bottles after backsweetening, because I don't have enough to open bottles checking carb level. Then I can just cold crash it in the fridge when bottles harden.

Back