cider first attempt ! clearing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

driesl

Reaction score
First a short introduction ! Me and my girfriend are trying to make a fresh sparkling Cider ! We are complete newbe's on brewing, this would be our first attempt

We live in belgium and my girlfriends parents are apple and pear cultivators ! So we have a big supply of the main ingredient!

The person who is going to help us with the pressing is quit experienced in making wine etc ...

He advised us to Clear the juice (with bentonite) wright after the pressing, before fermentation ?

Now this is nowhere mentiond in any of the cider making books I bought. They always talk about fining at the end ?

What are your idea's on clearing the juice at the start ?

I don't use fining agents, but I do use pectic enzyme if I'm starting with cloudy juice. Cider will clear all by itself when fermentation is done. You COULD use the bentonite, but I honestly don't see the point; it's just an added & unnecessary step IMHO.
Regards, GF.

Back