Cider / Apple tree recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all! I don't know where to start... Just moved into a new house in Red Deer Alberta Canada. I want an apple tree(s) for making cider. Either single varietal or to combine with my fathers KERR Crabapples and or Sun Rype etc etc.

It's sometimes below -30 Celsius here in winter and we have a sunny backyard.

Are there any recommendations of what to plant? Or where to look? Or tell us your experience with your apple tree(s) making cider ;)

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You'll have to check what hardiness zone you're in and then go from there. That's going to drive a lot of your decision process as it will limit what varieties you can grow. There's an orchard here in Ontario that specializes in cold hardy apple trees up to zone two which should cover you I think but you might have to talk to your local supplier once you've made a decision

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you'll want a good combination of different flavors. I'd look at maybe Ashmead's Kernel and Dolgo Crab. Check with this nursery, they specialize in cold climate trees and are really good to work with: http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us .

From the NAFEX site, check this orchard out.

Also Claude Jolicouer's book is a good reference for cider making. He is located somewhere in Canada and has his experiences with some cider apple varieties in his climate.

Historic and disease resistant, and cider apples for Canada, excluding B.C. Visit www.siloamorchards.com for listing and fruit tree grower information. Or contact Eric Hambly, Siloam Orchards, RR#1 Uxbridge Ontario Canada L9P-1R1. Email at [email protected] (905) 852- 9418. [P]

Back