Cider 12 days no carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinSTE

Reaction score
Hi!
I put a turbo cider with champagne yeast EL 1118 or something like that in, also added around 0.7KG of sugar to it, before fermentation it was at 10L and after it was at 9L, it has an ABV at about 7.9%.
I have let it sit in the bottles for 12 days now, but there are no signs of carbonation, i added 1 coopers carbonation drops to each bottle, the bottles ive tested were 330ML and the rest are 500ML.

Will it never carbonate due to lack of sugar? or have i accidentaly made wine instead of turbo cider?
I used 9L of Apple juice, and the rest was the sugar water.

I think you are asking why you don't have any carbonation after bottling with 1 carb drop after 12 days? At what temp are the bottles sitting? I've had some take up to 3 or 4 weeks before anything is happening carbonation wise.

Did you add anything to the cider before bottling it?

The bottles have been held at about 14-15C temperature for the 12 days, I only added carb drops before bottling, it spent 7 days in primary and 5 in secondary beforehand.

Move them to room tempature. They will take off. 12 days total ferment time might be a little short, are you sure your ferment was compleated?

started at OG 1060 and ended up at FG 1000, I just read about hard apple cider and how it should be done within 4 days after bottling. but ill let it sit for a week or 10 more and see what happens. :)

14-15C is too cold to expect the bottles to carb up in less than 2 weeks.
Try 22-25C for a couple of weeks and see what happens.

4 days?!?! My latest batch did shoot op to about 10PSI almost right away, but now it has been a total of 4 days and I'm only at 15 psi, so it has a way to go, and that is at room (70f) tempature.

All of my ciders take at least 3 weeks to carbonate at a temperature of 68-70*F (20-22*C), so I would not worry this soon in the process. Every crop of apples is different and they all contain differing amounts of Nitrogen. That is one of the major reasons no two batches of cider from the same tree ferment exactly the same even if all other things were done identically.

Also - how long you left it sitting affects it, too... you'll be starting with a lot less yeast if you cold-crashed and set for 4 weeks before bottling, than if you bottled immediately after primary fermentation completed

I have given up, poured out all the bottles yesterday. no carbonation and tasted like a bad cheap white wine.
Thanks for all your help.

Back