chunks in primary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eischman

Reaction score
O.K. something is not right cuz I never had this before,
After one week in the primary while I was transfering to secondary their was like small chunks all sticking to the side of the pail as it emptied and now after a week in the secondary some of those chunks are still floting around and no sign of it clearing?
This is a Nut brown ale and yeast was pitched at 73 degrees, after the second day it was bubbling away like normal but i noticed that my heater was set to high in the closet (beer was at 77 degrees) so I turned it down
to like 73 degrees, the secondary has a thick blanket around it so the temp would not drop real fast but i think this might be the cause.
Any words of wisdom will help, Thanks!

73 degrees is a bit hot to ferment a brown ale at I believe, but what you are seeing are flocs of yeast and it is totally normal.

thanks for the reply, do I need to run this though a strainer before tranfering
to the bottling pail or will it stop floating around and settle sooner or later?

What yeast culture did you pitch? The flocs from some yeast cultures take a while to settle. Whatever you do, do not run the beer through a strainer while racking to your bottling bucket. Carrying the flocs over to your bottling bucket will not hurt your beer. Running it through a strainer will result in the beer being aerated, which will result in rapid staling.

I always use Wyeast Activator for all my brewing and never had chunks before thats why I was worried, so Ill just give it another week in the secondary to settle, THANKS for the input!

What yeast? I did a brown ale with 1028, and it very much "clumps" up into chunks which float about during active fermentation. I also know if you fermented this strain at 73 degrees F, you are going to have a very estery, thin brown ale.

There are some other strains which are very flocculent which behave similarly.

I have herd that twice now that 73 degrees is to warm to ferment a nut ale, (this is the first for me) I wish "Midwest Supplies" would have mentioned that in their instruction sheet! :(

pics are always easier to help diagnose these kind of issues. totally understand if u cant post pics tho.

Back