Chugger pump crapped out on me.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickflip_mj

Reaction score
I dont know why, but it seemed to click, impeller is not pushing liquid, and wont work anymore. Sadly I have only used it 5-6 times. How is there warranty? (only on forums because its after 5 pm for them)

Take the head off and try running the motor. If it runs, open the head and look for crap stopping up the impeller. These pumps are user serviceable, and you absolutely need to get used to taking them apart.

Did you take off the head and clean it out might just some crap in there .

Yeah I did, I even bought a new impeller. I drilled out the old one wih a #11 just to keep it from binding. I think it demagnatized partially. It will move the liquid for one second then stop. and making a clicking noise the whole time.

Do you have it mounted in a toolbox or anything?

Nope, its in the open. It locked up on me the second time I used it. Then the 4th time I used it it sounded like a dying pig every once in a while. (the death scream i called it). then completely stopped all together. There is no chance of it ever running dry since it is below a 25 gallon bottom drain kettle. It had no sugar touching it either since it is my strike pump.

It does seem like it has nothing to do with the motor but you should also look at the back cover plate of the head and see if you have any rub marks from the cup magnet making contact. When that happens, you'll see the motor physically bogging down and you'll hear it too. It won't have anything to do with the impeller or head innards.

A lot of times, this interference issue will not happen until the pump heats up from hot water flow as it causes a bit of expansion in the metals.

Nope, its in the open. It locked up on me the second time I used it. Then the 4th time I used it it sounded like a dying pig every once in a while. (the death scream i called it). then completely stopped all together. There is no chance of it ever running dry since it is below a 25 gallon bottom drain kettle. It had no sugar touching it either since it is my strike pump.

Even if it's below the kettle you may still have air trapped that you need to release to get it to prime correctly.

Also when you take it apart, look at the rear white washer behind the impeller. Is it still intact? Or has it disintegrated?

It does seem like it has nothing to do with the motor but you should also look at the back cover plate of the head and see if you have any rub marks from the cup magnet making contact. When that happens, you'll see the motor physically bogging down and you'll hear it too. It won't have anything to do with the impeller or head innards.

A lot of times, this interference issue will not happen until the pump heats up from hot water flow as it causes a bit of expansion in the metals.

Yeah the back plate has some smooth rub marks and the thrust washer is worn. Maybe Ill order a new back plate and washers. Hopefully this takes care of it. Is there a specific oil you would recommend for the pump?

Even if it's below the kettle you may still have air trapped that you need to release to get it to prime correctly.

Also when you take it apart, look at the rear white washer behind the impeller. Is it still intact? Or has it disintegrated?

Yeah the washer is getting some wear. Ill replace that with the pump back plate.

were do you think i could get the bushing from? should it come with the backplate?

http://www.homebrewing.org/Thrust-Washer-Front-teflon-March-Pump-_p_2498.html
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MARCH-PUMP-THRUST-WASHER-P2925.aspx

The March washers should work on Chugger Pumps. You can probably get it from many homebrew sites and save on shipping if you're placing an order.

3-in-1 oil works fine for the motor, you shouldn't have to add it more than once a year, and even then that's the recommended schedule with the pump running 24/7.

Instead of a homebrew message board, I would recommend contacting Chugger pumps directly, both for parts and troubleshooting...they have always provided me with excellent service.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Thrust-Washer-Front-teflon-March-Pump-_p_2498.html
http://www.williamsbrewing.com/MARCH-PUMP-THRUST-WASHER-P2925.aspx

The March washers should work on Chugger Pumps. You can probably get it from many homebrew sites and save on shipping if you're placing an order.

3-in-1 oil works fine for the motor, you shouldn't have to add it more than once a year, and even then that's the recommended schedule with the pump running 24/7.

Instead of a homebrew message board, I would recommend contacting Chugger pumps directly, both for parts and troubleshooting...they have always provided me with excellent service.

I called, this may be the issue:

http://www.chuggerpumps.com/media-center/

Latest posts

Back