Christmas Music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmidtosu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Local radio station started playing Christmas music yesterday....seems waaaaay too early to me. Just remembering 25 years ago when I was a kid, if Christmas music started the second week of November, I would have lost my mind waiting for Santa...

I noted that the local hardware store and several businesses have decorations out already. Several homes decorated too. Half a century ago, it was unheard of to put out Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving. Follow the mines, I guess!

My lights are up, but not on...I chose not to freeze my as$ off this year (Ohio gets cold before you realize it) and put them up last week in shorts....local walmart had all their decorations out before Halloween....it just gets earlier and earlier every year...

For my kids it is practically impossible to find Thanksgiving decorations around the local stores. They go right from Halloween to Christmas. The almighty dollar, there just isn't enough money to be made with Thanksgiving. If Hallmark and box stores had their way, Thanksgiving would be dumped and a second Christmas installed.

For my kids it is practically impossible to find Thanksgiving decorations around the local stores. They go right from Halloween to Christmas. The almighty dollar, there just isn't enough money to be made with Thanksgiving. If Hallmark and box stores had their way, Thanksgiving would be dumped and a second Christmas installed.

At least you got Halloween..

I generally love Christmas music. Especially the classics and Hymns. Especially when a bunch of people get together and sing as a group with harmonies.

But I agree, it's too early. There are now 2 radio stations we heard on the way down to KZoo this weekend playing Xmas music. I think last year or the year before they started playing it the week before thanksgiving. I think they did that because they know people are going to be traveling to relatives houses and then maybe going out shopping.

My wife made me turn the station. And they were playing The Christmas Song! THE CHRISTMAS SONG! Oh well, it wasn't the Nat King Cole version, so I didn't punch her.

I usually enjoy "Christmas" music on the stereo while I put up/decorate the tree. But that event almost always occurs immediately AFTER Thanksgiving.

This year, my wife and I will be in Texas for Thanksgiving, celebrating the birth and baptism of our second grandchild. Therefore, the tree and music will not happen until AFTER the First Sunday in Advent.

As a church musician, a RARELY played "Christmas" music during Advent. IF THE FOURTH Sunday in Advent is the day before Christmas Eve, then perhaps "Christmas" tune or two.

But the retailers sure do like to "push" the season! Obviously, it is their own best interest to do so, or it would not happen.

glenn514:mug:

Christmas music ain't too bad:

Last edited by a moderator:
1470175_10152593756585353_373707572_n.jpg

My neighbor already has two Christmas trees up in her living room. I still have Halloween cobwebs on my porch.

The hardware stores here (read: Lowes) puts Christmas decor on sale the week before Halloween.

For me personally, other than making a list of what my daughter wants and getting our tree up, I ignore Christmas until the Thursday before it. Other than the "door busters" that almost nobody actually gets, the sales in the last week of Christmas are better than those on Black Friday.

And back on topic: the Christmas songs I like, I can and do listen to any time of year. A good song is a good song.

The rest of them, I never ever want to hear again.

I still have the skull and zombie gnome up from Halloween 2012.

There was a poll on the radio that said more and more people are getting fed up with Christmas in October and November. The older the group, the more fed up they are. I think this is the one.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...iday-music-before-thanksgiving-230890111.html

it's okay here and there from 12-1 to Christmas day. This crap of starting Christmas with or right after Halloween is is some booshee.

Almost as disgusting as the original!!

Don't you like Dio? He will always remain the godfather of heavy metal - it would have never taken off like it did without his leadership in the arena. God rest his soul, he was a wonderful, wonderful human being and gave hope to hundreds of millions of troubled teens worldwide for decades.

Since my wife is such a "FAN" of Xmas music early in the season (sarcasm) I am going to go home right after work and load a bunch of random Xmas tunes into her Spotify playlist. I think it will be hilarious to see her expression when she is sitting there doing her tumblr stuff and a Xmas song comes on... 8D

When it gets close to Christmas (like Dec. 18 or so) I love Vince Guaraldi, Winton Marsalis's Crescent City Christmas, well-done orchestral Christmas music, and that awesomely hilarious Bob Rivers record.

Everything else can suck it.

Those all Christmas all the time radio stations play the same damn 30-40 songs over and over and over and over. Springsteen - "Santa Claus is coming to town," that Mariah Carey one, that Paul McCartney one, etc ad nauseum. Every freakin station, every store, every mall, every park, everywhere you go plays the same crap over and over and over. I can't stand it.

And I HAAAAAAATE "Carol of the Bells." I hate it straight, I hate it as a spoof, I hate it with vocals, I hate it instrumental (except for Winton Marsalis's version.)

And don't get me started on the spoofs . Bob Rivers' spoofs are clever, witty, and well-performed. Nearly every other spoof is completely insipid. Especially when it's a commercial.

And while I'm ranting about Christmas music, here's the best description I ever heard of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra: "It's what would happen if Spinal Tap made a Christmas record."

And "I Yust Go Nuts at Christmas" always immediately follows Christmas dinner.

A local comedian/musician plays a completely irreverent, but hilarious medley where he switches "Jesus Christ" and "Santa Claus" around, giving us "Here comes Jesus Christ, right down Jesus Christ lane," "The little lord Santa lay down his sweet head ... " and "I saw Mommy kissing Jesus Christ," and on and on.

Back