Christmas gift for step son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cruckin78

Reaction score
So, my wife's son has never liked beer. On our last trip to Atlanta I talked him into goin to the Sweetwater Brewery with us, while there he fell in love with Sweetwater Blue.

Anyway, so I wanted to brew him a batch of a Blueberry style ale, or Sweetwater Blue clone for his Christmas gift.

Can any one help with a good Blueberry recipe?

All the links are dead from NB.

But I think I will go to my LHBS and find a lighter ale, and they have a blue berry additive to add to the bottling bucket....

I'll bottle him a 12 pack and keg the rest =)

A Wheat Ale would be a good base for blueberries, I think.

guess that is what I am gonna do,

7lbs of Wheat LME
1oz of Hersbrucker (60min)
and German Wheat Yest (W3333)

With the Blueberry Extract at bottling.

Anything else I could add to improve on that? That is just the basic Raspberry Wheat from NB with exchanging Raspberry for Blueberry.

A wheat ale is the classic blueberry beer, but Sweetwater Blue seems to a lighter ale and likely contains either no wheat or only a small amount (less than 10% of grain bill).

I would probably do something like:
6-7 LB Light Extract (dry will get you lighter color beer, but liquid is fine too)
1oz of any noble hop @ 60 mins
Any American Ale yeast (S-05 for me)

with the blueberry extract at bottle time.

Be sure and add the majority of the extract late in the boil to keep it light.

A wheat ale is the classic blueberry beer, but Sweetwater Blue seems to a lighter ale and likely contains either no wheat or only a small amount (less than 10% of grain bill).

I would probably do something like:
6-7 LB Light Extract (dry will get you lighter color beer, but liquid is fine too)
1oz of any noble hop @ 60 mins
Any American Ale yeast (S-05 for me)

with the blueberry extract at bottle time.

Be sure and add the majority of the extract late in the boil to keep it light.

I like this idea better then the wheat...Thanks, would like 3lbs at the beginning and 4 lbs at 15 minutes left work?

I like this idea better then the wheat...Thanks, would like 3lbs at the beginning and 4 lbs at 15 minutes left work?

That would be a pretty decent split. Make sure to turn off the heat source when adding the late addition as the heat tends to scorch any extract that makes it to the bottom.

That would be a pretty decent split. Make sure to turn off the heat source when adding the late addition as the heat tends to scorch any extract that makes it to the bottom.

I always remove from the burner when adding....But thanks for the heads up....

Think i'm gonna go with
7lbs LME (3lbs 60 min) (4lbs at 15min) (My LHBS wants $14 for 3lbs of DME and only 17.50 for the 7lbs in LME)
1 oz of Tattnang
blueberry extract at bottle time.

Leaning towards W001 (Cali. Ale Yeast) or should I go with something different??

So in playing with this recipe at hopville last night i added another oz of Tettnang at 15 min which kicked my IBU to 18.9.

I dont want the beer to be overly hoppy, as he isn't an IPA fan or huge hop fan, but I would like it to have some aroma, I dont want to smell just the blueberry extract.

any thoughts or suggestions on this?

I would move the addition to 5 minutes to improve aroma. 15 minute additions typically don't add much aroma, mostly flavor.

Good call on the extract, I have had not much luck with real fruit. Let me know how this goes, my roommate really wants me to make something similar to Magic Hat #9.

i brewed up a standard hefeweizen about 5 months ago, let it ferment for 2 weeks, then secondaried it with 36 oz of fresh blueberries. i soaked the blueberries in 175 degree water for about 20 minutes to sterilize them. i let it secondary for about 3 weeks, then bottled. been drinking a bottle every now and then. very tasty after a couple weeks in the bottle, but better now

Back