Christmas Brewing - Part 2 - Buffalo Sweat OCS AG Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Today's effort was part two in my Christmas brewing adventures.

Another all-grain kit from NB: Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat oatmeal cream stout.

The recipe is as follows:

• 7.75lbs Breiss Pale Ale
  • 1lb English Roasted Barley
  • 1lb German Vienna
  • 1/2lb Flaked Oats
  • 1/2lb Breiss Victory
  • 3/8lb English Black Malt

• 1/2lb Lactose (60 min)
  • 1oz Glacier (60 min)
  • 1/4oz Willamette (5 min)

• Wyeast 1450 Denny's Favorite 50

Mash: 156°F for 60 min
Expected OG: 1.057

Today's brewing went much smoother than yesterday's. I had more of a plan, going off of what I did yesterday. So, I knew exactly what I needed to do. However, I still ran into a couple of issues.

My mash went well today. Even better than yesterday. I hit my mash temp pretty much spot on. And I must have done a better job wrapping my pot with blankets, since the temp only fell just 2 degrees over the entire hour.

Then I drained the bag, suspending it over the pot. During this period, I ran to the HB store to get more yeast. Mr. Malty showed my yeast as having less than 50% viability, since it was manufactured in October. So, since I hadn't made a starter this time, I just got another smack pack of yeast. Then, after getting back, I squeezed out the bag and did a dunk sparge to get all of the sugars out of the grain. I massaged the bag in the sparge water, and then squeezed out the bag some more. I ended up with what I thought was 6.75 gallons of wort, pre-boil, at 1.041 SG.

Here's where things went funky on me. I need to accurately measure my pot volume. I did calculations based on a cylinder, but I must be off somehow. I calculated a pot volume of 7.75 gallons. But after I boiled down to just over 4 inches below the top of the pot, it didn't end up at the volume I expected.

My pot is 14.25" ID x 11.5" H. So, basic math tells us that a true cylinder would be just over 1834 cubic inches, or 7.9 gallons in volume. Take out a little for the radius on the bottom of the pot, and I estimated 7.75 gallons to the top. Also based on these numbers, 1 gallon of wort should equal almost exactly 1.5" in inner height of the pot. So, to get down to 5 gallons of wort, I needed to go down 2.75 gallons, or 4.125" from the top. Now, I measured that height post-boil, and it was almost exactly on. But, I only ended up with 4.5 gallons of beer to ferment in my carboy. So, I have no idea what happened, but I need to measure out where my volumes are on my pot.

In the end, I still made beer. But, it appears that I over-boiled, raising my SG to 1.066. :eek: I guess I'll just have a heavier, more-flavorful beer than anticipated. Oh well! :mug:

Efficiency numbers looked similar to my last batch, clocking in at 72%. If I can keep this up, consistency will help me with future batches.

Brewin' in the snow...
BuffaloSweatOCS-01_zps54ada0c5.jpg

BuffaloSweatOCS-02_zps25247701.jpg

Nice, dark color.
BuffaloSweatOCS-03_zpsbdeb9566.jpg

I just tried Buffalo Sweat recently, and I liked it quite a bit. I'm amused that this is the kit my wife got me for Christmas. I still had a can of BS in the fridge!

As for the beer, I'm guessing the higher gravity will yield a thicker, heavier beverage, but I'm good with that! :tank:

Just bottled this yesterday. It's just been sitting, waiting, begging me to bottle it. I tried a little sip and it tastes very much like the commercial version, but a bit more flavor because I believe I boiled it down too far. (I estimated volume incorrectly in my pot...) It should turn out to be very tasty.

FG ended up at 1.023 (corrected), for an estimated ABV of around 5.6%.

Back