Chris White of White Labs says it’s not necessary to wash yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
afaik, they are not in use any more. They just store their yeast in plastik bottles or dried on baking paper.
I see some stuff about them on Milk the Funk, so at least some folks (though perhaps most of em not Norwegian) are using em.

Not my field of expertise though.

I mean your statement about the difficult task of drying yeast for brewing purposes.

Kveik stains can indeed just be dried on baking paper at home, but only those kveik strains. For the other strains, your statement would be most certainly correct.
That sounds cool. Is that discussed the Kveik Thread where you told me to under-pitch it?

I see some stuff about them on Milk the Funk, so at least some folks (though perhaps most of em not Norwegian) are using em.

Not my field of expertise though.
I guess it's more of a unpractical thing but somehow looks awesome so people are copying the approach. Nothing wrong with that but I'd prefer the more practical approach.

My local brewery pitches 1 keg full of yeast into a 15bbl fermentor... that’s nowhere near a 20% by volume pitch... thats crazy and generally bad advice IMO. If that were accurate, a brewery with a 100bbl fermentor would need to pitch 40 kegs worth of slurry (20bbl’s).

Islandlizard has given good advice

A general rule of thumb is 2 million cells per milliliter of dense slurry. This is HIGHLY dependent on the density of the slurry though.
I didn't write it , I'm just paraphrasing Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers, page 118 lower right . The general rule as per Daniels is 2.5 Billion not million per 50 ml of wort, or 20 billion cells with 1 qt of starter, if you'd like to take it up with him, be my guest. Don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:
I didn't write it , I'm just paraphrasing Ray Daniels book Designing Great Beers, page 118 lower right . The general rule as per Daniels is 2.5 Billion not million per 50 ml of wort, or 20 billion cells with 1 qt of starter, if you'd like to take it up with him, be my guest.

I don't have the book in front of me but I think you may have misread what he wrote or what the context of that statement is. Maybe he's referring to the density of cells in a slurry? Or maybe that's referencing the point where over pitching becomes a real danger?

That would result is ~7 trillion cells pitched into 5 gallons of wort. Every other yeast resource and textbook recommends closer to 1 million cells/ml/ degree plato which should be about 200 billion cells.

Yep. Drying kveik is a different monster. Safe to say kveik as a whole is a different monster. I've only used Voss and never tried drying it. But a wood kveik ring (or whatever they are) would be neat to have if only for novelty's sake.
Hey if you are ever interested in a Kveik Ring i make them and ship worldwide.

Back