Chouchen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angryyoungman

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to make this famous French mead. It´s made from buckwheat honey and usually about 14% abv. The traditional method of making this mead it so pitch apple cider instead of actual yeast. I imagine before people really understood yeast they would prepare the must then pitch cider and the yeast from the cider would ferment the honey. I have never had Chouchen before, but I cannot help but think that there must be a somewhat residual, tart apple taste.

My recipe is as follows-
3.5 lbs buckwheat honey per gallon
make a large starter using apple juice and an ale yeast
let the ale yeast ferment out, then rack the mead and pitch champagne yeast.

The reason I am thinking of using an ale yeast and a champagne yeast is because they are both commonly used in cider. I´m trying to get the yeast close to cider because that´s what is proper, but also to mimic the more subtle flavors. The ale yeast will create some flavors that would otherwise not be present if I used just a champagne yeast.

Anyway, feel free to comment, critique, tell me if you´ve ever had chouchen before! Also, recommendations of where to buy buckwheat honey would be very appreciated.

The wikipedia info is a little ambiguous......

part of it mentions this as a honey/water mix, further in it alludes to the possible use of apples ?

Further in again, it alludes to a lower alcohol version made with apple juice but with a different name ?

Which is it that you want to aim for......

Equally if apples are somehow used yet the info suggests the possibility of buckwheat honey - because of the colour ? So with it being a Breton brew and Breton being next door to Normandy, it couldn't possiblybe that any apples used where pulped the allowed to oxidise some or the juice allowed to oxidise, like when making Normandy style cider ?

Further, not all buckwheat honey is created equal. I have some 20 odd kilos here, none of which fits the stereotypical dark, molasses like stuff often alluded to.....

If you add a region/area/city to your profile we can likely point you toward a closer supplier (maybe not though)........

Good luck with your endeavour though, if you can get close to the original style, excellent.

Though in truth, its that famous I hadn't heard of it, and have certainly not seen it for sale around here (other side of channel from Breton/Normandy regions).......

Back