Choosing name for my son

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby name

• Rylan Wade Miller

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Dakota “Kody” Waylon Miller

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Orion (Wolff or Westley) Miller

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Roller Miller is definitely better than Corona Miller.

Or just Malt Miller.

In the UK that surname means you're going to end up being nicknamed Windy or Dusty, so you could always short-cut that process.

My vote goes to something classic - not a fan of all the trendy new names like Terducken or Kaisynn...

Here "classic" means the name of a king or queen, although that logic does mean you can end up with something like Athelstan...

Even if you want to call them by a short version of a name, it's useful for them to be officially named as the long version, which you can use when you're really cross with them!

Conversely, be aware of names that can be shortened in ways that just attract unnecessary bullying, like Richard.

Whether it's a "trendy" name or not, just make sure it's a name that has one unambiguous spelling like David or Edward - someone called eg Katharine/Catherine/Kathryn will spend their lives spelling out their name to insurance companies and hotel front desks.

Or just Malt Miller.

In the UK that surname means you're going to end up being nicknamed Windy or Dusty, so you could always short-cut that process.

Here "classic" means the name of a king or queen, although that logic does mean you can end up with something like Athelstan...

Even if you want to call them by a short version of a name, it's useful for them to be officially named as the long version, which you can use when you're really cross with them!

Conversely, be aware of names that can be shortened in ways that just attract unnecessary bullying, like Richard.

Whether it's a "trendy" name or not, just make sure it's a name that has one unambiguous spelling like David or Edward - someone called eg Katharine/Catherine/Kathryn will spend their lives spelling out their name to insurance companies and hotel front desks.

Here here on the spelling issue.. Mathew and Matthew - one is me and one is not

One way to try out a baby name is to precede it with the command “git back in th’ truck!”

You will quickly discover that “Git back in the truck, Ethelred!” just doesn’t have the same ring as “Git back in the truck, Bubba Gene!”.

I wanted my last grandson to be named after me, but was rejected. Having two people in the family named Grampy would have been too confusing.

Bitter McBeerface

s7j3yfmon9d21.jpg

I understand explaining a name, both my wife and I have names that we don’t hear too often. I enjoy having a name that isn’t too common, but I now usually start my introduction with my name and then the spelling of my name. I like the idea of a name that isn’t too common, but also not totally way out there.

Orion, Ryan for short. Much better than Ursus Major, Betelgeuse, or Alpha Centauri. Seriously though, I think Orion is a pretty cool name for a kid. Named for the great hunter in the sky!
Regards & congrats, GF.
I like it too, we enjoy hunting as a family and Orion would fit that well. Also my wife likes the name Rio so it could be Ryan or Rio for short.

I understand explaining a name, both my wife and I have names that we don’t hear too often. I enjoy having a name that isn’t too common, but I now usually start my introduction with my name and then the spelling of my name. I like the idea of a name that isn’t too common, but also not totally way out there.

The "spellability" of a name is a separate matter from how common it is. Dakota is a not common name that is unambiguous, whereas if you say "Orion" down the phone to someone who's not so familiar with Greek mythology they may hear it as "Errr...Ryan", or the Irish "O'Ryan".

Don't worry about having to spell out a name. My kids are 8 and 11. I can spell maybe 1/10th of their classmates names because their parents think that creative spelling is cool.

Call him Lite. Hopefully by the time he's old enough to drink nobody will get the joke.

Don't worry about having to spell out a name. My kids are 8 and 11. I can spell maybe 1/10th of their classmates names because their parents think that creative spelling is cool.

Call him Lite. Hopefully by the time he's old enough to drink nobody will get the joke.
During basketball my older brother used to be “Miller Time” and then I was “Miller Lite”
So that would work well.
I’m not so much interested in creative spelling, moreso just names I don’t hear too often. Living in a rural area is nice because there aren’t too many people to begin with, so less names to hear...

Genuine Draft Miller......GD Miller.
I like Orion....but my name is Rudolph...just don't name him that...it was hell come Christmas time every year. I asked my parents how they could torture me with such a name and the reply was that stupid Christmas song was not even out when I was born....there, that dates me.

My brother was named Brett Roy...despite a lengthy argument among my parents...my father wanted Gustav Roy....poor guy has had to live with two names his entire life because my father said he didn't care what was on the birth certificate, he was calling him Gus.....by the age of 7, my mother acquiesced and quit calling him Brett but all through school and for anything official he had to answer to Brett. He met is wife in college and of course she picked up on Brett and insists on calling him that instead of Gus........in-law problem :mad: get with the program B.

Put Barney on the list. Oddly enough, more people now would probably think of Neil Patrick Harris than Hal Linden or even Barney Rubble.

Genuine Draft Miller......GD Miller.
I like Orion....but my name is Rudolph...just don't name him that...it was hell come Christmas time every year. I asked my parents how they could torture me with such a name and the reply was that stupid Christmas song was not even out when I was born....there, that dates me.

My brother was named Brett Roy...despite a lengthy argument among my parents...my father wanted Gustav Roy....poor guy has had to live with two names his entire life because my father said he didn't care what was on the birth certificate, he was calling him Gus.....by the age of 7, my mother acquiesced and quit calling him Brett but all through school and for anything official he had to answer to Brett. He met is wife in college and of course she picked up on Brett and insists on calling him that instead of Gus........in-law problem :mad: get with the program B.

My niece's husband's name is Josh Daniel. His mom loved Jack Daniels so much she wanted her boy to have J.D. for initials.

Josh and my niece named their son Jack David. The tradition continues.

Well I know you'll never go with any if these but you gotta try names related to home brewing right? Here are some possibilities:

Superfly Sparge
Barley Brewsta
Spund Val
Malt Bill
Walter Grist
Starr Stan
Carrie Pils
Weiss Bear
Hop Stan
Ferm Chamber
Chuck Saaz
Sterling Golding

I find it so weird that parents pick a name that they know *IN ADVANCE*** that they will call them some particular nickname. If the nickname is so great, make THAT the name. Oh, my son? His name is Second Best Name we thought of but we call him Best Name We Thought Of. Aren't we clever?

I find it so weird that parents pick a name that they know *IN ADVANCE*** that they will call them some particular nickname. If the nickname is so great, make THAT the name. Oh, my son? His name is Second Best Name we thought of but we call him Best Name We Thought Of. Aren't we clever?
Just curious, are you Bobby on birth certificate? Guess it could be Robert or Bob. I wanted to give them options. I like your name for that reason. At least 3 options.

That is kind of funny to think about. We shorten a lot of names. We know we like the full name, but know we will also inevitably shorten them at times. Rylan could be Rye, Dakota:Kody or koda, Orion: Ryan, Rio. That doesn’t mean we like Rye more than Rylan, or one is a first and second choice. Honestly we will probably call him our first sons name more often than not, I already get my son and dogs name intermixed as it is.

Sorry, just can't choose. It's definitely something you and your wife need to do. You'll know when the right name comes out.
And congrats. Parenting is the hardest but most rewarding job there is. No 2 kids are alike and that's a good thing!
Enjoy and share your love!

Well I know you'll never go with any if these but you gotta try names related to home brewing right? Here are some possibilities:

Superfly Sparge
Barley Brewsta
Spund Val
Malt Bill
Walter Grist
Starr Stan
Carrie Pils
Weiss Bear
Hop Stan
Ferm Chamber
Chuck Saaz
Sterling Golding
Sterling Golden was one of the names Hull Hogan tried on before becoming the hulkster.

One of my daughter’s friends is obsessed with Aerosmith. Her sons are, of course, named Steven and Tyler.
Worked for a guy whose sons were Jack and Nicholas- what a hack...

We are the opposite for our daughter. We went with Lillian knowing that folks would try to shorten it, but the wife swore she wouldn't allow that. I have to hand it to her, she has corrected ever "Lilly" out of everyone. After 4 years I am shocked it hasn't sunk to the lowest common denominator yet...

My dad's older sister was married for nearly 50 years to Ralph Miller, not sure what his middle name was.
That was my grandpa’s name on my dads side. My cousin named his son Ralph after him a couple years ago.

Beer guys trusting other beers guys(and gals) to name their second born. I like it.

I’ve personally always liked Chalupa Batman.

Another great name would be Luda Christopher then he can go by... Luda Chris

Beer guys trusting other beers guys(and gals) to name their second born. I like it.

I’ve personally always liked Chalupa Batman.

Another great name would be Luda Christopher then he can go by... Luda Chris
Baby McBabyface we could do, but I might draw the line at Luda Christopher.

Back