Choosing a wort pump... Error check my logic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriso

Broken Robot Brewing Co.
Reaction score
It's been a *really* long time since I've gone through the whole research-and-upgrade process, thanks to my couple years' hiatus from brewing.

But, I've reached the point where I need to start pushing wort around, gravity just isn't cutting it anymore. So, I know I want to add an electric pump to my setup. I hope to someday jump from propane to electric, so this will be one of my first toddler steps towards that upgrade process.

I am fairly sure I want to go with a March brand pump. I see that Austin Homebrew has the March 815-PL for a reasonable price, with mounting bracket + plug already wired up. However I found jbsengineer's thread about flow testing and see that using the 815-PL-C with Center inlet, versus the standard 815-PL, really makes a noticeable difference in flow rate.

Has anyone here ordered from "Tesco Pumps" (via Amazon, for what that is worth?) and what was your buying experience? The PL-C from Tesco actually comes out about $5 cheaper, shipped, than the standard PL from Austin Homebrew. I'm tempted to go center inlet, based on the flow rate and the price.

I am seeing some conflicting information online, some web sites are claiming the 815 PL-C model has a 1/2" Inlet. Can someone who owns the Center Inlet head confirm that it is, in fact, the larger 3/4" size? I mean, I would not usually assume a manufacturer's site to be wrong, and THEY say 3/4"... but... you never know, I guess?

Finally. Is it worth my considering the older 809 Center Inlet model at all? Or should I just pull the trigger on the newer, stronger 815?

I have the 805 frpm Austin Homebrew and it doesn not come with a plug. Mine came with three wire stripped and tinned for direct connection the whatever it is attatched to. The 815 may be different though. I am very happy with my single pumps performance, very little delay is really caused by hose connection changes and priming. Just my experience.

Wheelchair Bob

Cool mcl, that's the same one I was looking at, I found it through Amazon instead of directly on their page.

How was the order process? Timely information / tracking number? Reasonable turnaround time? Thanks.

I have gotten a pump from TESCO before, but it was one that I haven't seen them selling again, and it was significantly cheaper than the March pumps they are selling. It was a Gorman-Rupp pump with 1/2" hose barb fittings for the inlet & outlet instead of threaded fittings. They shipped it right away via USPS, and I got the pump a few days later. This was a few years ago.

They sent me a tracking number, but in general I find USPS package tracking to be pretty useless. By the time the tracking page updates at all, I already have the package.

I went through amazon to order the pumps. They shipped in 3 business days with a UPS tracking number. No problems at all.

I double checked last night and my input is 3/4" as well.

Thanks everyone. I am thinking 815 Center Input is def. the way I want to go. I'm quite glad to hear ordering process went well - I'm always wary of "smaller vendors" due to the Email Response Limbo that can sometimes occur.

Email sent to my SWDMB (She Who Drinks My Beer) with links - now I just have to wait until my birthday and see what comes in the box! :)

Back