Choosing a first lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeg

Reaction score
I've been brewing since January and have had a lot of success with a variety of ales. I've done 7 batches of beer, no two alike, without any major problems. My recipes have all been original creations, using various books and online recipes as guidelines. With this experience under my belt, I'm thinking of trying my hand at a lager. With cooler temperatures on their way, it'll be easier to manage cold-temperature fermentations in my garage, so it's the right time of year to get this going. I'm looking for advice on where to start.

My preferred process is a BIAB-style partial mash. I can handle up to about 6 pounds of grain and a 3.5 gallon (maybe 4 if I'm really careful) boil. Fermentation will be in a fridge in my garage. I don't have a temperature controller, but I've had fair success regulating temperatures using a timer. Obviously it'd be preferable to have a closed-loop system there, but that's really not an option, and I'm willing to keep a close eye on it. The beer will need to be bottle-conditioned, as I have no keg system available.

Does anyone have advice on a relatively forgiving lager style or recipe? I'd prefer to use a true lager yeast rather than a pseudo-lager with ale yeast. Given my fermentation set up, something that is reasonably forgiving of small temperature swings is necessary---I can manage about ±3°F for the primary fermentation, based on my experience with ales. It might be a bit better for a lager in a cold garage since the temperature difference will be smaller, or if the fermentation is less vigorous and gives off less heat of its own.

General tips on any unexpected differences between ale and lager production would also be welcome. Thanks!

you might consider something like white labs 810 - the steam beer yeast. it is a true lager yeast and is the most resilient in terms of temperature.

but i'm just starting to experiment with lagers. the rate of fermentation is very different, there is definitely a certain amount of relearning the fermentation process.

Does anyone have advice on a relatively forgiving lager style or recipe? I'd prefer to use a true lager yeast rather than a pseudo-lager with ale yeast. Given my fermentation set up, something that is reasonably forgiving of small temperature swings is necessary---I can manage about ±3°F for the primary fermentation,

I don't think I'd ever categorize any lager as "forgiving" if by that you imply that cutting corners on the process will not negatively affect the outcome. To me what sets lager apart (any lager) is their use of a very clean ferment combined with the actual lagering period to produce, compared to ale, a beer with no discernible ester characteristics that showcases the base ingredients unencumbered. The only way to accomplish that is with a proper fermentation at the correct temperature and amount of yeast.

That said it's not all that difficult, the mechanical brewing steps are the same as for any beer, but you do have to provide the correct environment for everything to happen as it should and have the patience to let it happen. I wouldn't be too concerned with a potential +/-3F temperature swing as long as it stays within the prescribed range of the chosen yeast. In other words make sure the +3F factor does not exceed the manufacturer's preferred temperature for the strain. Also keep in mind that the ambient temperature of the fermentation area needs to be at least a few degrees below the maximum recommended yeast temperature to account for the heat produced by the ferment itself.

As far as a style goes just pick one you like. Read up on the basic procedures, make an appropriately sized yeast starter and brew. :mug:

Thanks for the replies. The steam beer suggestion is interesting, but perhaps I should try a steam beer first to see what I'm after :)

Regarding "forgiving," yes, I understand that lagers require more precision, I guess I'm just curious if there are more or less finicky yeasts. I think I'm a pretty meticulous brewer, and I was able to produce a very clean (albeit overhopped) Kolsch. Mainly, I don't want to get started and then find out I happened to pick the nightmare strain that throws off cadaverine if you look at it funny...

Style-wise, I'm thinking I'll probably avoid the super-light styles, partly out of preference and partly because I suspect they're less forgiving.

Thanks for the replies. The steam beer suggestion is interesting, but perhaps I should try a steam beer first to see what I'm after :)
if a steam beer yeast is used at normal lager temperatures, you just get a nice clean lager. the magical thing about it is the pleasing flavors it produces at relatively higher temperatures.

from white labs..."Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers."

I wouldn't think that any lagers are particularly forgiving- but you can make some decent ones even if they have a few flaws. I particularly think Maibock or Oktoberfest could be a good place to start.

I have a recipe called "MYbock" posted which is an American-ized version of a maibock. You may like that one.

A couple of tips- make a HUGE starter. HUGE. I mean, 2 gallons for a starter for a 1.050 lager is not too big! Then put it in the fridge for a few days and decant the spent wort before pitching in your wort.

Chill the wort to 45 degrees if you can before adding the yeast starter from the fridge. Keep at 48-50 degrees until the beer is about 75% done (about 7 days, if you pitch enough yeast), and then you can do a diacetyl rest at room temperature.

So, that's only about a week of really intensive temperature control. After the diacetyl rest, you can rack the beer to a carboy and get it as cold as possible (I like 33-34 degrees) for 6-10 weeks. Your fridge should easily do that.

I wouldn't think that any lagers are particularly forgiving- but you can make some decent ones even if they have a few flaws. I particularly think Maibock or Oktoberfest could be a good place to start.

That's the sort of hint I was after, thanks. Hopefully we'll do well and not have significant flaws, but thinking about your suggestions, I'd guess that they're heavily flavored enough that they could still be ok. Happily, those were a couple of styles I might have chosen for their own sake, so I'll probably try one of them.

So, that's only about a week of really intensive temperature control. After the diacetyl rest, you can rack the beer to a carboy and get it as cold as possible (I like 33-34 degrees) for 6-10 weeks. Your fridge should easily do that.

That should be manageable. I'm not certain that I'll hit 34 or lower, but definitely below 40 (I haven't tried going below that). In the winter, though, it shouldn't be a problem.

My real worry has been that I can't bear to tie up my fridge for 6-10 weeks on a single beer... once temperatures get down, though, I may be able to pull off ale temperatures in my closet.

A Schwarzbier is another thought. That's what I did for my first lager, but I happen to like that style a lot too.

Back