Choose my next IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Nino

Reaction score
So I've gotten enough brews under my belt to where I think I have my process nailed down, and I've been mostly following clone recipes of beers that I'm familiar with. Now I'm wanting to try a beer that isn't a clone of something. Something new!

I do want an IPA recipe though, nothing just quite hits the spot for me like a hoppy 6-6.5%ish beer :)

So I currently have these hops available:
Chinook
Centennial
Citra
Nugget
Mosaic

Any good recipes that use these hops, that you'd recommend? I'm flexible with grains because I don't store any at home, I just hit up the LHBS whenever I brew.

You won't be disappointed with this one.

11.0 lbs Pale 2-row
1.5 lbs White Wheat Malt
0.5 lbs Victory

1 ounce Nugget @ 60m
1 ounce Citra @ 5m
1 ounce Mosaic @ 5m
1.5 ounce Citra @ 0m
1.5 ounce Mosaic @ 0m
1.5 ounce Citra @ dryhop
1.5 ounce Mosaic @ dryhop

Mash @ 150°F for 60m. Ferment with an ale yeast of your choice (Imperial House or Imperial Juice would both work well)

Keg or bottle to 2.5 vol CO2.

^ that sounds good. My best IPA to date is:

6lbs 2 row
3.5lbs Vienna
2.5lbs Munich
1.2lbs crystal 15

2.5 oz Cascade @ 60
1.5 oz Cascade @ 30
2 oz Cascade @ 10
1 oz Cascade @ 5
1 oz Cascade @ 0

1 oz Cascade dry
2 oz Citra dry (I use 1 oz Cryo)
2 oz Mosaic dry (I use 1 oz Cryo)

WLP001, ferment at 64, dry hop for 3-4 days.

This gets me around 5% ABV, just bump up the 2 row to get you to your desired 6%.

So I've gotten enough brews under my belt to where I think I have my process nailed down, and I've been mostly following clone recipes of beers that I'm familiar with. Now I'm wanting to try a beer that isn't a clone of something. Something new!

I do want an IPA recipe though, nothing just quite hits the spot for me like a hoppy 6-6.5%ish beer :)

So I currently have these hops available:
Chinook
Centennial
Citra
Nugget
Mosaic

Any good recipes that use these hops, that you'd recommend? I'm flexible with grains because I don't store any at home, I just hit up the LHBS whenever I brew.
How much of each hops do you have? About a 6 to 8oz is enough for a IPA, 4oz for dry hopping the rest toward the end of the boil and/or whirlpool.

Mosaic is complex enough to be used by itself.

Citra and centennial or citra and chinook or even all three might be good combos.

not sure what you have for hops but

8lbs 2 row
2.5lbs wheat malt
2lbs oats
.75 lactose

.5oz chinook 15 minutes
4oz mosaic flame out
4 oz citra flame out

2oz each citra, mosaic 2 days after brew
2 oz each for 7 days

This worked really well for me for a NEIPA.

How much Centennial do you have? I love to make a Bell's Two-Hearted clone but it requires all Centennial hops (about 6oz for 5 gallons).

About 7oz. I've bought all my hops in 8oz-1lb packages. Cool I'll look that one up.

How much of each hops do you have? About a 6 to 8oz is enough for a IPA, 4oz for dry hopping the rest toward the end of the boil and/or whirlpool.

Mosaic is complex enough to be used by itself.

Citra and centennial or citra and chinook or even all three might be good combos.

Awesome, so far Chinook is one of my favorite hops. I've been looking for info on hops that pair well with chinook (Both times I used it, it was the only hop type used). Citra would go good then?

Awesome, so far Chinook is one of my favorite hops. I've been looking for info on hops that pair well with chinook (Both times I used it, it was the only hop type used). Citra would go good then?

I make a pale ale with Chinook, Cascade and Columbus and a hoppy wheat with chinook and summit. Chinook is in the pine section of the hop flavor wheel so combining it with one or two hops from a different section like citrus, spicy or floral works well.

Making a SMASH or beers with a type of single hop is helpful to determine what hops you like. With new hops I do a single hopped blonde with a 60, 20 and a 5min addition to get a feel for them.

C-hops love each other. One of my favorite brews uses homegrown Chinook, Centennial and Cascade, with a light touch of Citra.
Just wish we could grow Citra :D

Cheers!
This gave me an idea for an IPA, I'll call it

"The 4 C's"
1oz Cascade
1oz Centennial
1oz Chinook
1oz Citra

Now I just need to figure out the Grain Bill and Yeast...

How much Centennial do you have? I love to make a Bell's Two-Hearted clone but it requires all Centennial hops (about 6oz for 5 gallons).

I'm about this close (imagine how close my fingers are) to brewing a Bell's Two-Hearted-like beer but using different hops because I don't have Centennial. I'll use Cascade for the dry hops, but not sure about the kettle additions. Maybe Dr Rudi or Sterling.

Latest posts

Back