Chocolate stout help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timschram

Reaction score
I'm just trying to get a basic chocolate stout recipe down that I can tweak later. I'm think the following:

15# uk pale 2 row
2# uk chocolate
.75# crystal 90
.75# flaked oats

Mash at 156 for 60 minutes

2 oz EKG hops for 60 minute boil

I want a really big chocolate flavor on this. I've read quite a few different opinions on chocolate additions. I've seen people that recommend bakers chocolate, others that recommend tossing a dark chocolate bar in, and a few others.

What's your recommendation for the best result? Also, does this grain bill look ok?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think that is gonna be a big beer with a light color. I have always gone with the cocoa powder for a good finish without overdoing it on fermentable sugars. Try adding some more oats for a good mouth feel. Also the 2 ounces of Goldings might make for a bit much on a Stout but to each their own. Good overall recipe though. Good luck.

The recipe I brew uses bakers chocolate, cocoa powder, and chocolate malt all three and comes out amazing

I am going to try throwing 4 oz of cacao nibs in the secondary for 7-10 days. If this does not give me the desired chocolate taste, I will try these recommendations.

Back