Chocolate nibs substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamms

Reaction score
I'm putting together a Stout. The recipe calls for 3.2 oz of chocolate nibs. I neglected to pick some up from the brew store when I was there, And I don't think I'll have time in my schedule before Brew day to pick some up. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could substitute? I'm thinking unsweetened cocoa powder. If I did, I just don't know how much to add. Any tips?
I don't want to overdo it, or undercut my Stout on the chocolatey flavor but it requires to come into being.
Thanks!

Are you planning on adding it to the boil, or after fermentation?

Most I know add it to fermentation, abut 7 or so days after pitching, which would give you plenty of time to pick it up. You don't need "brew store" nibs. You can go to a grocery store and get it. Or order it from amazon. It's all the same stuff.

But if you do want to add it to the boil, and you don't want to pick it up from the grocery store, AND you have cocoa powder readily available, I experimented a few months ago with adding nibs and powder to the boil. It was a 2.5 gal batch. I added 1 oz of nibs and 2 oz of cocoa powder at 5 min left in the boil. It turned out nice. The chocolate hints were present, but not overpowering.

Not an exact answer, but I hope it helps.

I add 1 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder with 15 minutes left in the boil for a chocolate stout that I do. Nice balanced chocolate flavor.

I second pretty much everything specialkayme said. In my experience you can find nibs at the Natural Foods market if your regular grocery store doesn't have them. While I've only used nibs I've heard of people using cocoa powder and ever chocolate chips so you have options.

Thanks all. I'll try to see if maybe one of the local natural grocery stores have some. If not I'm going to try adding a couple ounces of powder at the end of the boil.

Back