Chocolate flavor in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbohanna

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am trying to brew an oatmeal stout with a chocolate flavor, I am already going to be using chocolate malt in the mash, but is there another way to get a more noticeable chocolate flavor in the beer? Thanks in advance!

Patrick

Lol @ put employees in your beer.

I racked a porter onto 6 oz of nibs. Looking forward to the results.

If I were to do it again I would grind/crush the nibs a bit more, soak the nibs in some unflavored vodka, starting on brew day then strain the vodka-nibs, put a sanitized straw in the bottle, then put it in the freezer. This causes the cocoa butter and water to freeze it's way up the straw, eliminating some of the cocoa fat which reduces the head of the beer and causes it to be slick. I might do this twice actually.
and add at bottling. Basically this way you're making a chocolate extract and adding it with the priming sugar.

Read about that freezing technique on here somewhere, and looks like a great idea.

Nibs are pretty expensive though in comparison to cocoa powder, but if you can find some unsweetened cocoa powder WITH NO COCOA BUTTER added, then try that with the vodka and the freezing technique. Should give a pretty similar result to the nibs as long as you can find some quality powder without any additives!

Add employees to your beer during the boil, otherwise they tend to struggle a lot longer.

At first, I only added bad employees, seeking to improve business efficiency, while getting the flavor I want!

Alas, bad in = bad out.

My best employees are not only better adjuncts, but are more obedient!

Easier all around, but harder to replace.

wait.......employee flavor is FANTASTIC, but it is hadly describable as "chocolate"

*"Holy f**K!!!!!.......did I just say that out loud????"*

Recently made a chocolate stout with 4 oz of 70% bakers chocolate and 1 lb of chocolate malt. It was very noticeable and tasted delicious! I added the 4 oz of chocolate for the last 5 minutes of the boil and didn't put anymore than that in the beer. I would like to try 4 oz in the secondary for a week in addition to what I did next time. Not necessary though and could bitter it though I'm thinking.

I have a recent brew with a prominent chocolate note that is somewhere between a brown and a mild porter. The specialty malts used per 5 gallons were:

6 oz. amber malt
6 oz. pale chocolate
2 oz. roasted barley
2 oz. carafa III

I've only done one chocolate flavored beer - it was N.B.'s milk chocolate extract kit. The kit comes with 4 ounces of cocao nibs, which I soaked overnight in vanilla-flavored vodka. Added those to secondary on racking day and let the beer pour right over 'em. There it sat for 2-3 weeks and it resulted in one of my favorite batches so far. Will probably brew that one again in November as it will be a great cold-weather beer.

Well if you watched brew dogs boston..Jim Koch and the guys took a bath in the wert to sour it pre boil.:)

I just sampled my first chocolate stout..I guess you would call it a sweet stout..I took a oatmeal stout partial extract kit..toasted the oats at 250 till they had a nice color and aroma..then I added about 4 oz. of lactose for some mouthfeel and a little more sweet and let it rip for two weeks..I forget by now what yeast..but it was a smack pack...us 04 probably would have worked just as well..after two weeks I decided not to rack to secondary and just dumped the entire pack of brewers best cocoa nibs soaked in vodka to the primary and let it go for another week and bottled it..after sitting on the shelf for a month I sampled it and WOW. This for being my third beer attempt really blew my socks off..the chocolate was deffinatley there..then turkey day hits..and when you smoke your own meat and brew your own drinks people tend to flock to your Holliday parties..lets just say I hope I can crank out another batch before christmas but that ain't happening.

Latest posts

Back