Chitosan and kieselsol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weaves

Reaction score
Making a wine kit the instructions had me add kieselsol, wait a day, add 2 packages of chitosan, then add another package of kieselsol in an hour. I misread the instructions added the chitosan then immediately added the extra kieselsol. Will that be ok or should I get a package of clarifier from my local store?

Strange instructions. My kits have always only included one package of each. Degass, then one first stir then 5 minutes later the other then stir again. Wait until day x then it should be clear and ready for bottling.

And they all had one going before the other as very important. So switching back and forth seems wrong.

What is it about the kits that requires these compounds to clear them?
Won't they clear on their own given time?

Yes. I never use them. I have a couple vegetarian friends, so want to be sure my wine is friendly for them, plus I don't use things I don't really need.

They are very useful when you are rushing a wine to bottle, but otherwise, I wouldn't use them routinely. I've only had one or two wines in 30 years that didn't clear on their own, after using pectic enzyme on the fruit.

Latest posts

Back