Chipotle Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomEHof

Reaction score
I want to make a chipotle porter but am not sure how much to add. I am using dried chipotle flakes, and was thinking adding 1 tablespoon at 10, then maybe a teaspoon in the secondary. This is a give gallon batch.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't add that much to the boil. Best way I've found to add spices is to macerate a bit in vodka for a few days and then add to secondary to taste.

If you have a pipette or fine scale you can add drops to a glassful of the young beer until it's perfect.

I added "a bit" (maybe a teaspoon?) of red chili flakes to a gallon of mead in the secondary and it was super gross.

Chipotle porter, that sounds interesting. The smoky pepper should add to the roasted malts nicely.

I could be wrong, but I don't think you will gain much from adding Chipotle to the secondary. I have never done this, but I would try 1 to 2 tsp at 10 min and 1 to 2 tsp at 0 min. Or just 2 tsp at 10 min. Good luck!

Keep in mind if you make it too spicy - you'll be the only one drinking it!

I haven't used chipotles in beer yet, but am planning to on my next batch. Haven't heard of anyone using a chipotle flake, but some have used chipotles in an IPA (linked post). His recipe said he was using two peppers, but later said he used 4-6 small peppers and would cut back to 2-4 peppers. I believe they put them in the primary and got good flavor and aroma from the chipotles, but lost a lot of the hop aroma and flavor. I'd think a tablespoon would be good towards the end of the boil, then taste it when moving to the secondary and see if you need more.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/chipotle-ipa-209881/

I'll let you know how it goes. I think this should go well with a dark smokey porter. I may go with less than a Tablespoon as suggested and add to secondary if needed.

*casts resurrection*

Did you ever make this? I just had my first brew after 2+ months post brew day. It's very delicious and has a real kick to it. I think I'm going to age it it for at least a few months though to mellow it out a little.

What was your technique? How did you add it and in what quantities?

What was your technique? How did you add it and in what quantities?

Extract kit recipe from homebrewing.org. I can post specs when I get home. It was actually really tasty but I could see the need to mellow it over a few months. The chipotle spice is very present without much smokiness. But peppers are possibly my favorite ingredient, So I’m basically just wondering how it might change over time if I don’t end up drinking it all immediately. I have another chilling in the fridge.

How did you add the Chipotles? Boil? Secondary tincture? Flakes? Whole chilis?

Back