Chinook or Cascade for Chocolate milk stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashebrewro

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Chinook or Cascade for a Chocolate milk stout? My girlfriend went out and bought me a boat load of hops and I think these are the best options of what I have to use.

Thanks

I read on here that Rogue uses solely cascade in their Chocolate stout...so being the Rogue yuppy fanboy that I am, I'd say cascade.

Both of those are much more geared toward IPAs and PAs in my experience. I suppose you could use either, but sparingly and no additions after like 30 min. You want to taste the chocolate and roasty flavors in the stout, not the hops. Usually you'll see low AA% earthy/spicy hops in stouts and porters. They aren't very assertive and subtly compliment the coffee and chocolate flavors in the roasted malts.

Like in Rogues chocolate stout, I can't make out any flavor from cascade so I'm guessing they used early additions only

Those are very popular for IPAs, yes, but they are also very popular for stouts as well. Chinook is primarily for bigger stouts I believe, with cascade for smaller stouts, like Sweet and American type stouts.

Check out the BJCP styles and see what you want to do with the IBU ranges listed as guidelines. With a quick google search, many HBT'ers love using Chinook in their stouts.

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style13.php#1b

I'd go with the Cascade. I'm not a big Chinook fan. It has a resiny smell and taste I just don't care for. I used it in my Caramel Amber Ale and luckily the other flavors cover most of it, but I'll definitely be using other hops in future brews.

If you are a fan of the variety though, I think it would be an OK choice. I've seen plenty of good feedback from those who use them in stouts.

Either will do. My vote would be Chinook, I think it is a little more subtle.

THe hops can be noticeable, but keep them in the background.

If you're using it for bittering, I'd definitely go with the Cascade. Chinook has a distinctively harsh "raspy" bittering to me, which is really nice in a pale ale or IPA, but for a milk stout I don't think you'd want that.

If you use it very sparingly, a teeny tiny amount (quarter or half ounce TOPS) of chinook would probably be nice for finishing hops - it's a Golding derivative and isn't quite as citrusy as the cascade.

If you were making a pale ale, I'd say put a whole mess of both in. :D

I wouldn't use either of those hops for a chocolate milk stout myself. However, if I had to choose one, I'd choose cascade. I just don't think that piney Chinook flavor would lend itself well to a sweet chocolate milk stout.

If it's just for bittering and not flavor or aroma additions, I would go with the Chinook as you will get more alpha acids from less hops as Chinook has a significantly higher percentage than cascade. I have used home grown Chinook for bittering the porter I'm drinking now. It tastes great.

After more thought, I was leaning towards 1oz cascade 60 min addition and 0.5oz cascade @30min for 5 gal batch? for 23.9IBU

Sounds good to me Ashe. Really depends on your liking and the recipe. Cascade is a low alpha obviously so at least you know you won't over do it.

Back