Chilling wort using bottling cane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben2904

Reaction score
Ok so I came up with an idea, tell me what do you think.
Doing for the first very hot degrees a water/ice bath to the wort. Those degrees gets down pretty fast.
Then take the bottling cane, put most of it inside ice bucket with water and rack the wort into some other sanitized container.
How is it?

Btw the fermenter bucket is capable of taking high temperature wort without causing something bad?

I'm guessing that this will not be very efficient unless like a copper wort chiller you had many loops of tubing. Plastic tubing is not very effective for heat exchange like copper. Plus I'm not sure how easy it would be to start the racking cane siphon, keep the tubing in the ice bucket and flow into your carboy all while trying to not siphon your trub.

Only one way to really find out for sure though. Maybe do a test run with just water to figure out the logistics.

I'm guessing it is best to just do ice bath or get a chiller. I place my brew pot in the ice bath and then using a small aquarium pump, pump the ice bath water through the chiller which recirculates back into the ice bath. Have found this be be very efficient to chill my wort.

I've done this with great success. It is not a immersion chiller but a "therminator" style chiller.

Get high temp lines, and submerge as much as you can(I do 10ft or so). I'll be racking it into a sanitized container in a ice bath and it brings it down to pitching temp by the end.

If need be I just throw the fermentor in my fridge downstairs for a few and it's good to go

Back