Chilling Wort Tip

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian77095

Reaction score
I just read the below statement on a different website.

It is common practice to instruct new extract brewers to pour their hot wort into a fermenter filled with cold water to cool it down to yeast pitching temperatures. You will no doubt still have drinkable beer when fermentation is complete, but you run the risk of oxidation, which can manifest itself as unfavorable off-flavors in the final product.

Instead, use an ice-bath to cool the hot wort down to about 70°F (21.1°C) before adding it to the cool water in the fermenter. This will reduce the chances of oxidation, and ultimately produce cleaner tasting beer.

When chilling with an ice batch, be careful not to let any water (or anything else for that matter) into the boil kettle as it can cause contamination. When the steam stops coming off the kettle, you can put the cover on, which will help prevent anything from getting into the wort that shouldn’t.

I was under the impression it was almost impossible to put to much O2 into the wort at this time. Meaning oxidation could not be possible at this stage. Right after this step aren't you supposed to add oxygen to the wort?

Anyway this seems to be exactly the opposite of a lot of reading I have done and just want clarification. Is it possible to over aerate or put to much O2 in before pitching yeast?

Thanks!

I think they are referring to hot side aeration. This is a BS concept in home brewing if you ask me. I recirculate my wort constantly with a sprinkler head during the mash and have no off flavors. I say go for it.

*Some may disagree. go easy on me*

Also. I have the kettle cover partially off when chilling with an ice bath. Not having the cover closed allows heat to escape and I stir to keep the hot wort in contact with the chilled side of the kettle to accelerate cooling.

Back