chill haze removal in keg- clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmeisterSmith

Reaction score
I'm trying to think of ways to get my beer to clear faster. I find that in about 3 weeks, I have some of the clearest beer ever. But it takes 3 weeks. Some people say that it's just a matter of preference and that chill haze doesn't impact flavor. I beg to differ. When there is yeast in suspension, you get some yeast profile vs when its clear.

So, my question...I keg my beer and force carbonate while in the keggerator. Chill Haze forms. Could I then remove the keg and let it sit at room temp causing the haze particles to drop? Would it be clear if I stuck it back in the keggerator after letting it sit at room temp for few days? Or would it Haze up again?

I keg my beer and force carbonate while in the keggerator. Chill Haze forms. Could I then remove the keg and let it sit at room temp causing the haze particles to drop? Would it be clear if I stuck it back in the keggerator after letting it sit at room temp for few days? Or would it Haze up again?

No the haze would reappear when rechiilled. Perhaps a fining agent would drop the chill haze faster. Have you tried gelatin?

You can use gelatin and get some really clear beer.
Chill haze isn't yeast...it's protein.

I will repeat what m3noob stated, it's not just yeast that causes chill haze, but rather proteins. There is a very nice write up in the most recent issue of Zymurgy regarding the molecular causes of chill haze and some of the preventions/fixes. Gelatin is a fairly common and natural post-fermentation product to reduce chill haze. Winemakers often use it if I'm not mistaken.

If it's actually yeast and it actually drops out in 3 weeks, you can speed that up with a clarifying agent like polyclar or gelatin or something, but really 3 weeks ain't that bad.

Steps to help avoid chill haze in the future include:

- Add 1/2 tab whirlfloc at 10 min.

- Chill the wort quickly for a good cold break.

- Let it sit (kettle covered) 15-20 min after chilling to let the particles settle out and leave tat gunk behind when you transfer to the fermenter.

For the current batch, if you don't want to wait a few weeks (during which you can use the easy and reliable "set & forget" carbing at service pressure), hitting it with gelatin is the only thing I know of and that may not do it.

Steps to help avoid chill haze in the future include:

- Add 1/2 tab whirlfloc at 10 min.

- Chill the wort quickly for a good cold break.

- Let it sit (kettle covered) 15-20 min after chilling to let the particles settle out and leave tat gunk behind when you transfer to the fermenter.

For the current batch, if you don't want to wait a few weeks (during which you can use the easy and reliable "set & forget" carbing at service pressure), hitting it with gelatin is the only thing I know of and that may not do it.

Interesting. I use a whole whirlfloc tab at 15 - 10 minutes. I also use a plate chiller for quickly cooling. I never thought about letting it settle after chilling Usually, I whirlpool in the boil kettle and then use the plate chiller to send it directly into my carboy. Mind you, it starts clarifying about one week in the keg, two weeks it's drinkable, 3 weeks its almost commercial quality and tastes best.

How long does Gelatin take to work? Will there be a bunch of crap at the bottom of the keg and in my lines?

How long does Gelatin take to work?

I don't know the minimum time. When I use gelatin, I add it at kegging time to cold beer (I cold crash), purge, put it on service pressure and leave it alone two weeks.

Will there be a bunch of crap at the bottom of the keg and in my lines?

It depends......................... on how much crap there is in your beer. :D

First picture shows after 24 hours on gelatin. Second picture is same beer roughly 3 days post gelatin addition. It really is clear, it just has condensate on side of glass

1389236472290.jpg

1389236589351.jpg

Whirlfloc for 10 minutes in the boil then Gelatin + polychar in the keg before force carbonating has consistently produced beer you can read through for me.

Back