Chicago Suburbs CO2 Tank Recertification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bg9929

Reaction score
I have a couple co2 tanks that certifications have expired. Normally get tanks refilled at Illinois Fire & safety in Addison. They told me it would be $90 per tank to recertify. That sounded too high and found range of $10-20 seems to be common on here. Anyone know a better place to get recertified and other filling options. Thanks

Take one of them to the closest AirGas filling center (not one of the non-filling satellite outlets) for a swap.
The odds are very good you will not be charged for a hydro test.
If it works, wait a couple of weeks before taking the other tank...

Cheers!

Take one of them to the closest AirGas filling center (not one of the non-filling satellite outlets) for a swap.
The odds are very good you will not be charged for a hydro test.
If it works, wait a couple of weeks before taking the other tank...

Cheers!

Air Gas no longer does in house testing. Their fee is now in the $70 range. The test doesn't cost nearly that much but it is their way of "encouraging" you to lease tanks vs. purchasing them.

Funny - there are a lot of job openings at Airgas for hydrotest techs...

Cheers!

I took a personally owned tank in to AirGas a couple of months ago and was quoted $70+ before tax for testing. The franchise manager told me that that is their standard fee for hydrostatic testing for all non-Air Gas owned tanks and also stated that that Air Gas (in this area) has a third party conduct their tests.

It may be a regional issue as I live in the TN/KY area. It is cheaper for me to buy a new tank, at this point, than have one retested.

Welding supply place near me doesn't seem to pay attention to dates when they swap tanks. Might be because the one guy I tend to talk to there homebrews and we chat about beer for a little while. I'm sure if I specifically asked, they have a price. Also, since I'm always swapping for one of their tanks, if it's due for testing it's because they gave me one that was close to the test date. Gurnee is a bit of a drive for you though.

Call around. In this area hydro tests are around $25-30. $70 is gouging it.

After calling around I ended up swapping my expired 20# tank at Praxair, no charge for hydro testing. New tank is good looking and shiny, but "Praxair" is hard stamped (engraved) into the shoulder. I guess I don't "own" my tank anymore. But as long as I keep swapping them there I'm fine.

At $27 for 20# I can live with that at the moment.

I can get them filled for around the same price or a tad less, but the one place that fills doesn't fill 20# while you wait anymore, you got to leave it there and come back. That's another hour+ round trip.

Welding supply place near me doesn't seem to pay attention to dates when they swap tanks. [...] sure if I specifically asked, they have a price. Also, since I'm always swapping for one of their tanks, if it's due for testing it's because they gave me one that was close to the test date. Gurnee is a bit of a drive for you though.

I went by American Gasses in Gurnee with two tanks - a 20# last tested in 2004 and an aluminum 5# manufactured in 2008. They charged me just one $12.50 re-certification fee on the exchange, ~$20 for the 20# fil and $15? (or there abouts) for the 5# fill. Out the door with two tanks certified in the last 12 months for less than $60. The trip was a half our out of my way, but worth it for me. No hassles, reasonable fees.

I went by American Gasses in Gurnee with two tanks - a 20# last tested in 2004 and an aluminum 5# manufactured in 2008. They charged me just one $12.50 re-certification fee on the exchange, ~$20 for the 20# fil and $15? (or there abouts) for the 5# fill. Out the door with two tanks certified in the last 12 months for less than $60. The trip was a half our out of my way, but worth it for me. No hassles, reasonable fees.

Might be less than a half hour out of your way if you do it sometime when we're not having record flooding. :)

Glad it worked out! They've always been good to work with for me.

$12.50 is pretty reasonable for a recert fee too.

Back