Chest "refrigerator" keezers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLOVE

Reaction score
Hi, all,

Getting ready to design and build a bar for a newly minted sun-room brewery (pictures shortly). My question is about pros/cons of chest "freezers" vs. chest "refrigerators". It seems that some of chest freezers have temp control that allows them to function as a refrigerator as well. Many residential units are offered as sisters models with (and without) this functionality. I'm leaning towards paying a little more ($50-100) for the added fridge functionality. This would mean (I hope) that I could avoid having to pick-up an additional temp controller and/or have to partially cannabalize a freezer.

So, anyone out there using a model with fridge temp control? If so, which one(s)? Do you like the level of temp control? Is it stable? Or am I wasting my time, and should just focus my energy on a freezer conversion?

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions all welcome.
Thanks,
P

Well, one issue is if the refrigerator can be set warm enough for ale and lager ferment temps (50-68F). Can refrigerators be dialed up that high? I don't know...

The other critical aspect behind using a temp controller is that you can place the probe in a way to directly control the temperature of the fermenter. A refrigerator will have the thermostat controlling the air temp which means you will constantly be fiddling with it to control the fermenter temp.

I'd go with the freezer because I know it has all the cooling capacity I could ever want, and use a temp control with it.

I should clarify: my intent is to use this unit as a kegerator - not a fermentation chamber. I have a separate setup for lagering, ferm control, etc. I'm basically looking a unit that can cool to serving temps in the 40's. I have seen a few chest fridge/freezers in the 7.1 cu ft range with sufficient space for a bunch of cornies.

Most people (myself included) who use a chest freezer use a temperature controller which will shut the power off to the freezer if it gets too cold. I have the Ranco ETC-111000 for my freezer, but many people use the STC-1000 (or one of its derivatives.) The thing you really need to worry more about using the chest freezer is getting the lines in/out. A lot of us build a collar, usually made of wood, which makes for easier drilling and also raises the height of the lid so that you have more vertical room.

It depends on what you can get and how much effort you want to put into it. If you already have an old refrigerator that is large enough for a couple kegs, it's much easier. If not, weigh how much you will have to spend to turn a chest freezer into what you want and see if it's worth your time.

Presumably the OP is looking at an Igloo chest freezer, the specs of which claim enough thermostat range to not freeze beer.

I don't recall anyone posting real-life performance reviews of that type of unit, but it has a lot going for it versus a conventional chest freezer, as it uses a ducted evaporator instead of the "in the liner" style.

If I was in the market and that type of chest freezer was available with an 8 ball lock keg capacity without a collar (so, something around 13 cf) I'd give it serious consideration...

Cheers!

Presumably the OP is looking at an Igloo chest freezer, the specs of which claim enough thermostat range to not freeze beer.

I don't recall anyone posting real-life performance reviews of that type of unit, but it has a lot going for it versus a conventional chest freezer, as it uses a ducted evaporator instead of the "in the liner" style.

If I was in the market and that type of chest freezer was available with an 8 ball lock keg capacity without a collar (so, something around 13 cf) I'd give it serious consideration...

Cheers!

yeah, this is more along the type of details I'm trying to nail down. My understanding was the fridge design was more like that found in a typical upright. My concern has always been with over-cycling. I use a BCS to cycle an A/C unit. I've built in safety delays, but I'm convinced it's just a matter of time before the unit is toast. Don't want to do the same thing to a freezer. Does seem that there are quite a few threads with folks frying freezers (likely due to overcycling the compressor). Hence I'm looking hard fridge options that could hold 8 ball locks.

Somewhere in this section on kegerators/keezers there were some posts discussing two nearly identical units that differed only with respect to fridge vs. freezer. Guess I need to do some more digging.

Thanks!
P

Latest posts

Back