Chest Freezer with temp controller vs mini fridge fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeastMaster

Reaction score
I've been planning a fermentation chamber build for a little while now using the method of building an extension on to a mini fridge and running an STC-1000. I havent been in a big hurry so I've been waiting on a good deal on an used fridge. From my research the build would end up costing the price of mini fridge, stc-1000, and about $75-100 in materials.

Is there any reason I shouldnt just by an used deep freeze for $100 and throw a temp controller on it and call it a day? It seems like it would be better suited for the job as I would be requiring the compressor to do a lot less work than intended.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys. :mug:

Id go with the freezer for sure. I have 2 chest freezers i use for temp control. They are much more versatile.

I have a freezer and a refrigerator for fermenting and lagering. The refrigerator is far better at keeping moisture from building up.

I have a freezer and a refrigerator for fermenting and lagering. The refrigerator is far better at keeping moisture from building up.

I think I'd rather have a chest freezer due to layout/space. I'll be throwing some desiccant in to keep things in check.

I use a minifridge with an stc-1000 as you suggested, and I also have a large keezer which I can use for lagering. The main advantage I have found in using the minifridge as a fermentation chamber is the smaller space offers the ability to easily heat up and cool down your chamber which is also the biggest benefit of using the stc-1000 aside from the cost. It requires less time and energy to both heat up and cool down, and has a much smaller footprint. There are downsides to this however, as I am limited to a single fermenting vessel at a time, and I don't have headroom for an airlock, only a blow-off tube. Cost for me was the biggest draw to this setup however. By using a free mini fridge I found set out on trash day (score) and materials lying around the house, I was able to build my mini fridge fermentation chamber for the cost of the stc-1000 and a wall plug outlet which was about $20. I don't know what else you're considering in the additional $75-$100 materials, but this simple setup works great for me! I used an old lamp cord and socket with a bulb placed in a tin can as my heating element (free) and I scavenged an old computer power cable to get all the wiring needed for the stc-1000 (free). With a few basic modifications to the interior of the fridge I can now fit a 5 gallon carboy in there without a problem. Good luck!

I use a minifridge with an stc-1000 as you suggested, and I also have a large keezer which I can use for lagering. The main advantage I have found in using the minifridge as a fermentation chamber is the smaller space offers the ability to easily heat up and cool down your chamber which is also the biggest benefit of using the stc-1000 aside from the cost. It requires less time and energy to both heat up and cool down, and has a much smaller footprint. There are downsides to this however, as I am limited to a single fermenting vessel at a time, and I don't have headroom for an airlock, only a blow-off tube. Cost for me was the biggest draw to this setup however. By using a free mini fridge I found set out on trash day (score) and materials lying around the house, I was able to build my mini fridge fermentation chamber for the cost of the stc-1000 and a wall plug outlet which was about $20. I don't know what else you're considering in the additional $75-$100 materials, but this simple setup works great for me! I used an old lamp cord and socket with a bulb placed in a tin can as my heating element (free) and I scavenged an old computer power cable to get all the wiring needed for the stc-1000 (free). With a few basic modifications to the interior of the fridge I can now fit a 5 gallon carboy in there without a problem. Good luck!

I was planning on building on to a mini fridge as others here have done so that I could store multiple fermenters. I had a setup like yours until recently when that fridge died, didn't like that it was such a tight fit and always wished I could control temps on multiple vessels.

Thanks for your input. Your solution does work well for a single fermenter, that's just not my goal at this time.

I see, I misinterpreted what you were going for. I hadn't heard of building on to a minifridge, but after looking it up it sounds badass! I might have a new project :)

Back