Chest Freezer - Fermentation Chamber and Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurDeLis425

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just acquired a 7 cu ft. chest freezer that I would ideally like to turn into a dual purpose fermentation chamber, which can fit 1 carboy and 2 ball lock kegs.

My idea was to use a temperature controller to set the temperate for the kegs, then use another temperature controller to control the temperature of the carboy by using a fermwrap.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Does this seem like something that will work well? Anyone have a better solution?

Thanks!

I used to do this and it worked well. I insulated the carboys with that foil bubble wrap you get at home depot and some scrap wool stuff I got at the surplus store to cover the top of the carboy. Worked very well. In the long run, of course the freezer will work a bit harder, but I never thought it was that big of a problem. Been a few years since I upgraded to my conical though.

Back