Cherries in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmoldow

Reaction score
Anyone have success adding cherries into fermenters? Any tips would help. I was thinking maybe a porter with the toasty and chocolate notes would be a good pairing for the fall

You can freeze them and dump them straight in the fermenter. Or soak them in a mason jar with enough vodka to cover the cherries and add the whole mix. It shouldn't be enough vodka to mess with the flavor or ABV much.
I think a safe bet is one pound per gallon, then adjust from there.

I made a double chocolate cherry stout that just took a silver medal in the SHV category of the Dominion Cup. I used about 2# of (thawed) frozen dark sweet cherries in the primary for 10 days, and 2# in the secondary for 21 days. It also scored well at NHC. Judges say that the cherry flavor was pronounced on the finish.

So just frozen cherries from the grocery store or specific brand. I saw those from Oregon I think but they are pricey

Yes, that's what I used. I think they were just a bag of the Kroger brand, iirc the cherries themselves were from either Oregon or Washington.

I added about 2#s to a gallon of belgian blonde. They went into the secondary, should be bottling this weekend. I pitted them, froze them, tossed them in a chopper to get them mashed up and then dumped them in.

Back