Chemistry of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The University of Oklahoma is again offering it's Chemistry of Beer course up for free. It's an 8-week online course starting today (8/18) and dives into the chemical reactions of the mash, boiling, yeast glucose cycle, etc. Very interesting course. You can also rip through the archived course if you so choose instead.
While some of the biochemistry parts were a bit difficult to process for a non-chemistry person (I do more atmospheric fluid dynamics), the course is pretty easy to follow and offers some insight into your homebrew you otherwise wouldn't have thought about or understood.
Highly recommended.... https://janux.ou.edu/landing/course.chem4970.html

OH man I was going to read up on basic chemistry and give this another shot. I doubt I could understand the chemistry aspect of this. I might give it a shot again, but last time I didn't have the time to devote to it and the chemistry was a bit overwhelming (I have no chemistry experience whatsoever, other than mixing some things together for fun as a kid...)

This would be awesome, but I haven't learned chemistry since high school, and organic chemistry was not a part of my courseload at university :mad:

Back