Chemicals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kristofer

Reaction score
This is really my first time making wine the "proper" way. I have transferred into my secondary fermenters. I still have to add the bentonite and kc finings. Before, I have added the bentonite and then after it settled I transferred and added kc finings before bottling, but I'm wanting to know at what point do I add the sorbate and the metabisulphite to my wine in the whole process from beginning to end. Im still trying to learn the chemical process. Thanks for all input.

you do not need to add K sorbate unless you are planning on back sweetening the wine. Just use K Meta if you are wanting to drink the wine dry.

you do not need to add K sorbate unless you are planning on back sweetening the wine. Just use K Meta if you are wanting to drink the wine dry.

Exactly. In terms of the chemistry and use...

K-Meta also comes in continent tablets called campden, which I find makes measuring easier. It can be added at the beginning of wine making, about 12 hours before pitching the yeast. This helps control any wild yeast that was on your fruit. If you're not using fresh fruit, or don't mind the contribution of the wild yeast, you can skip this step and go straight to yeast pitching. Commercial yeast has a higher resistance to the sulfur so as long as you use normal dosing guidelines it won't affect your fermentation.

K-Meta is also added at the end as it helps protect your brew from oxidation during bottling, protecting both the color and flavor of your brew. This WILL NOT stop any sort of active fermentation. So if your yeast hasn't COMPLETELY quit because it has run out of sugar or reached alcohol attenuation, you run the risk of bottle bombs.

Sorbate inhibits yeast cells from multiplying. It doesn't actually kill them as is the common wisdom. But if your wine is clear, the vast vast majority of the yeast cells will be on the bottom (in the "lees") and those that make it into a bottle will be far to few to taste, see, affect the flavor/alcohol content, or create bottle bombs. If you want to add sugar back (as noted in the previous post), you must add sorbate or the yeast will kick into high gear in your bottles and you'll have bombs and rockets. I always use sorbate just in case, it's cheap and doesn't hurt.

Hope that wasn't too much detail. :)

Back