Cheese beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heflover

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make "cheese beer," as in, cheese-flavored beer?

I have a friend who is interested in it and refuses to consider the alternatives (like beer-flavored cheese, which has been done; or beer-cheese pairings, which I've had).

I'm thinking you could either add a pungent cheese like blue cheese or Roquefort in a small teabag in secondary OR put the cheese in the mash.

Any advice?

:tank:

I've read numerous times that if you use hops that are old and stale they will impart a "cheese" smell to the beer. Then again they say it could also smell more like old dirty socks and that it's usually considered undesirable.

Either way, it could be the final step in making your "Cheese Beer", getting it to smell like cheese too...

I think if it were me I'd pick my favorite cheese and buy a really nice block to eat with a beer that may pair with it nicely. Something like Aged Beechers Chedder and a strong Pale Ale for me.

you could try using a cheap neutral beer like pbr and pouring that over some of your favorite cheese, and treat it like a secondary. Just to see if you can coax some of the cheese flavor your looking for out of the cheese and into the beer.

I love beer, and I love cheese, and I love most of the beer-flavored cheeses I've had (e.g. Chimay makes some fantastic cheese that uses their beer), but a cheese-flavored beer sounds completely horrific to me. As a beer judge, I hope I never get stuck judging an entry like that.

Well, blue cheese is already infected and Roquefort is made from raw milk so you are just rolling the dice on infection. There is also the fact that you want to add dairy to your beer. Not so sure how it would react.

I guess the only way is to try it but I will only drink it if you drink it first. :drunk:

Has anyone tried to make "cheese beer," as in, cheese-flavored beer?

I have a friend who is interested in it and refuses to consider the alternatives (like beer-flavored cheese, which has been done; or beer-cheese pairings, which I've had).

I'm thinking you could either add a pungent cheese like blue cheese or Roquefort in a small teabag in secondary OR put the cheese in the mash.

Any advice?

:tank:

Probably a long shot, but did you ever try this? Im interested in adding blue cheese to a beer and was thinking in the secondary after baking and freezing to kill the mold... but admittidely im completely guessing here...

Back