Cheers from Sunny Long Beach, CA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob750

Reaction score
My wife and I are wanting to start brewing at home. I'm here to figure out a few things before we make any equipment purchases. I've been lurking for a few days... Seems like a great crowd, and I look forward to interacting with you!

Sláinte!

Bob

Start here:
www.howtobrew.com

It has all the basic information you'll ever need to get started. After that, you can use this board as well as your homebrew shop as a resource.

Remember, there's not only one way of doing things, there are lots and they are all right.

A lot of processes in brewing comes down to personal preference so don't think in terms of right or wrong when you get conflicting information. Most often they are both right but suited to that person.

Hello, fellow Californian!

I have actually read most of Palmer's book online already. I agree; howtobrew.com is definitely a great place to start learning. I understand the process (at least academically), but we're trying to decide if we should get a starter kit and then spend more money later when we want to get a little bigger, or should we start with a higher capacity setup and save some money in the long run. I'll be posting questions in an appropriate forum soon.

I'm in the 90808, Woodruff and Wardlow area, not that far from Stienfillers. Let me know if you have questions, maybe we can plan a brew day sometime if you would like to see how my particular system is set up.

if the recent posts are any sign, california is growing homebrewers as fast as breweries. Welcome.

Hello, fellow Californian!

I have actually read most of Palmer's book online already. I agree; howtobrew.com is definitely a great place to start learning. I understand the process (at least academically), but we're trying to decide if we should get a starter kit and then spend more money later when we want to get a little bigger, or should we start with a higher capacity setup and save some money in the long run. I'll be posting questions in an appropriate forum soon.

Well, that's a decision that only you can make of course. Personally, I am the type of person that when I get into something I go nuts and buy all the stuff and go balls to the wall. Often times, I'll get bored with it and drop it. So for me, I decided to ease into to make sure this was a long term hobby worth the investment of additional time and money. I bought the starter kit first and brewed 2-3 extract batches. That gave me the ability to get the process down. It also shined a light on how much more creative license you have with all grain.

Thanks for all the greetings.. uh... last year!

I just wanted to pop back in here and say that it's been a long time since I was here, but we finally are slipping our toes into the kiddie pool; we've ordered the 1-gallon small batch kit from Northern Brewer (I went with The Plinian Legacy), plus an extra jug (My wife chose the Bavarian Hefeweizen) and some other gear. It should be here by about this time next week.

My wife and I will each have something going, and not have to wait for the other's beer to finish before starting a new batch. I suspect we will add additional pairs of 1-gallon fermentors soon.

Granted, we would have loved to start with a nice glass 5-gallon system, but financially and space-wise, this smaller beginning allows us to get brewing NOW. We'll grow our capacity over time.

We're looking forward to attending the Stein Fillers free "Introduction to Homebrewing" class this Saturday.

:mug:
Cheers!

Back